Eve's "Hot Jewel Tones" Bedroom

Hot Jewel Tones

Name:

Eve

Schaghticoke, New York

Division:

East

Colors Used

tangerine, teal, canary yellow, hot pink, purple, brown, white - among others.

Color Inspiration

I wanted a room that was exotic and sexy, and reminiscent of the hot jewel tones of Indian and Moorish culture. Also, our bedroom's previous teal paint job made it feel too dark because of the lack of direct sunlight during most of the day. The current tangerine wall color (Toasted Apricot by Valspar) helps to brighten it up.

Color Tips

I read recently here on AT the suggestion of using colors of similar saturations, and that is certainly helpful. I also like to use a lot of complementary color schemes (ie: tangerine and teal in this room) to create some visual drama. Granted, I tend to go all out with my rooms color-wise and that's not for everyone. But starting small and gradually interjecting more colors through objects that can easily be changed out (textiles, vases, artwork) makes it less intimidating to do and helps you develop an eye for what works together. Also, dashes of white here and there helps to ground the other colors.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (30)

Great room, can you tell me where you got the bedspread I would love to get it!

posted by Pilar1971 on November 3, 2011 at 11:20pm
view Pilar1971's profile

Very pretty!

posted by Tracy333 on November 3, 2011 at 5:25pm
view Tracy333's profile

This seems to me like a great example first of being bold and experimental with color (one of the points of the contest, right?) and second of using color in response to your environment. Sometimes it makes sense to work with the palette of the climate and environment, while in other cases it might be best to do the opposite. I love upstate New York, but I know how gloomy it can get at times, especially in winter, and especially in a dark room (which you say this is). What fun to use exotic, tropical colors and themes in this way.

posted by bellsonhopi on November 3, 2011 at 11:05am
view bellsonhopi's profile

Such a bold complex palette, yet so coherant. I'm rooting for you!

posted by LizU on November 3, 2011 at 1:51pm
view LizU's profile

Not exactly my cup of tea, but: as stated above, if this contest is really supposed to be about going full tilt boogie with color, then this room is a winner. Great job!

posted by emmelemm on November 3, 2011 at 3:17pm
view emmelemm's profile

YUP YUP! Loves it! :) Great job!

posted by SherriEakin on November 3, 2011 at 3:19pm
view SherriEakin's profile

I've wanted that duvet for SO LONG! I'm glad to see it in your pics because it is way too intense for my bedroom, but looks great in yours!

posted by Mama Gigi on November 3, 2011 at 3:44pm
view Mama Gigi's profile

so glad she entered. love this room!

posted by Lady J on November 3, 2011 at 4:10pm
view Lady J's profile

Love how all the colors work together and even the CLOSET DOORS get in in the act, without seeming like they are trying too hard. Very cohesive without looking overdone. Would love this as my room!

posted by KristinW on November 3, 2011 at 4:32pm
view KristinW's profile

Totally agree with bellsonhopi! I suspect that Eve and I would have a FAB time shopping together given our love of orange!

posted by rouquinne on November 3, 2011 at 5:17pm
view rouquinne's profile

Hi,
LOVE IT!!!!!
Where did you get the wall hanging and duvet?
NS

posted by ihas on November 3, 2011 at 6:03pm
view ihas's profile

I've seen your room on saucy dwellings and am so glad you've decided to enter it!

posted by stellarkar on November 3, 2011 at 7:09pm
view stellarkar's profile

Love the duvet! Where is it from?

posted by lal on November 3, 2011 at 7:23pm
view lal's profile

Thanks so so so much everybody! :)

The duvet is actually a thin comforter/bedspread from Urban Outfitters - I think it's called the Bohemian Floral. Unfortunately, it's not the most durable so we really only use it as a decorative topper after we make the bed (we have a plain comforter that we use every night that is underneath). I wish they offered it as a duvet or tapestry because it's a gorgeous, vibrant pattern.

And the wall art is a pic of Aishwarya Rai that I manipulated and had printed onto fabric through Spoonflower, and then I stapled it to a stretcher bar frame.

posted by modachromehome on November 3, 2011 at 11:56pm
view modachromehome's profile

Absolutely gorgeous - fantastic job!

posted by ryttu3k on November 4, 2011 at 3:41am
view ryttu3k's profile

Hurrah for Bollywood! You've got my vote.

posted by rossini19 on November 4, 2011 at 11:25am
view rossini19's profile

Finally some colors! even though I can't stand orange, and wouldn't be able to live in a space in that color, I love what you did in your place. I love the vibrancy, liveliness of the room. Great job!

posted by Offtza on November 4, 2011 at 6:04pm
view Offtza's profile

Love it! My mom has a guest room in her house that she painted a similar color. It's shocking at first, but it's just so joyful and unique that it's easy to love.

posted by saraI08 on November 4, 2011 at 11:14pm
view saraI08's profile

the quilt is urban outfitters

posted by Lady J on November 5, 2011 at 3:35pm
view Lady J's profile

LOVE THIS! hope a house tour is in the making!

posted by redgenghis on November 5, 2011 at 8:57pm
view redgenghis's profile

Now this is what a color contest submission should be! It's relatively effortless to do a neutral paint job with a few pops of color, but what you've done takes a lot more courage and talent.

I actually bought the same Urban Outfitters coverlet but had to return it because I couldn't make it work like you did. I still love it to death though. And I love that you were brave enough to use all that saturated color.

Beautiful colors, beautiful submission! (applause)

posted by kbfromlb on November 6, 2011 at 4:30pm
view kbfromlb's profile

WIN WIN WIN.

posted by EC_ on November 9, 2011 at 11:59am
view EC_'s profile

I love everything about this room...I so dig it!
Great color combination.

posted by Canddi on November 10, 2011 at 2:09pm
view Canddi's profile

Thanks so much for all the awesome compliments! :)

posted by modachromehome on November 10, 2011 at 3:52pm
view modachromehome's profile

Wow!!!! You totally captured the the feel you described from what I see. Congrats on your artistry.

posted by sajoy on November 10, 2011 at 5:09pm
view sajoy's profile

I could live in this room for the REST of my life!! W.O.W...exciting,stimulating...not one single second of ho-HUM about it. You ROCKED it ...in every way! MANY many kudo's on the superb outcome!!

posted by donnamarie on November 11, 2011 at 5:03am
view donnamarie's profile

You make me know that I love fashionable color for room decoration.

posted by PremierDecoration on November 11, 2011 at 7:01am
view PremierDecoration's profile

Amazing use of contrasting and bold colours without being garish!! Wary and Meyers beware. :)

posted by k2yhe on November 11, 2011 at 7:18pm
view k2yhe's profile

My absolute favorite so far! Bright colors but not garish at all.

posted by LittleRed4 on November 17, 2011 at 11:55am
view LittleRed4's profile

spicy and sensual lurve palace.

posted by Zsuzzani on January 16, 2012 at 3:18pm
view Zsuzzani's profile