Beth's "Cottage in Provence" Room

Cottage in Provence

Name:

beth

victoria, canada

Division:

International

Colors Used

What I call a french provincial blue (or "blue nose" from benjamin moore) is on the cupboards and wainscotting. other trim is a 1/4 shade of the blue. The yellow is harder to describe! I painted a strong base colour of yellow and then had friends give me whatever bright yellows they had left over!! I painted and daubed and melded on these 1940 plaster walls to create a real depth of warmth. We had fir floors for a while, but when we'd hoped to refinish them last year, they were too worn, so we installed cork. Love the look, and it goes with the counter top we chose (which had been black and yellow tiles- including the sink!!)

Color Inspiration

A southern french farmhouse look. Most people enter through our kitchen. No matter who, they often exclaim on how welcoming the space is. This is success! I wanted people to feel that this was sunny, warm and inviting. Sit down, stay awhile.

Color Tips

To me, paint opens up a can of play! I've never been afraid to try a colour and if doesn't work, I've learned something and will move on. Be intimate with the natural light in your room! Don't paint for resale, paint for what you love! PS PLEASE credit Anton Kiritchenko for his wonderful photos! We've been in our home for 20 years, and are in the process of selling. I am sure his photos are what brought so many interested people through!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (18)

I love blue and yellow kitchens! Yours is very cute.

posted by spaceystacey on November 8, 2011 at 1:33am
view spaceystacey's profile

Can't believe this hasn't gotten any comments yet. Absolutely gorgeous--love that shade of blue, and that the yellow continues onto the ceiling. Hope the eventual new owners keep the look!

posted by azr2005 on November 7, 2011 at 2:07pm
view azr2005's profile

I am in love with this kitchen! it is so bright and homey and so welcoming! The blue might be my favorite blue ever!

posted by RicciMara on November 7, 2011 at 3:08pm
view RicciMara's profile

This is absolutely gorgeous and I'm guessing it's really warm and cozy at night, too.

posted by cakowalik on November 7, 2011 at 3:41pm
view cakowalik's profile

So beautiful! I would buy this house for the kitchen alone.

posted by SuperGrrl on November 7, 2011 at 3:50pm
view SuperGrrl's profile

So charming....lovely!

posted by HouseOnClintonAve on November 7, 2011 at 4:01pm
view HouseOnClintonAve's profile

Soooo matchy-matchy but it looks really cozy. I can so picture my grandma serving me cookies in this room.

posted by Anna Lisa on November 7, 2011 at 4:02pm
view Anna Lisa's profile

Beautiful photos and beautiful kitchen!

posted by Newburgh Restoration on November 7, 2011 at 4:02pm
view Newburgh Restoration's profile

I was walking by this place just a couple of weeks ago and saw it was for sale and looked at it online. (I actually know Beth but it's years since we've seen each other). I too loved the pics of this kitchen on the realty site. It combines my favourite kitchen colours especially when I think back to kitchens we've had over the years. Very lovely!! (And neat to see it posted on Apartment Therapy!)

posted by HC__ on November 7, 2011 at 4:13pm
view HC__'s profile

Hmm. The yellow looks pinky-beige in the photographs (at least on my computer). I'll bet the room is much prettier in person.

posted by Lisa (Montreal) on November 7, 2011 at 6:12pm
view Lisa (Montreal)'s profile

I love the colors. It's my favorite of all the entries in all areas.

posted by Kathryn1123 on November 7, 2011 at 10:21pm
view Kathryn1123's profile

I wish I could drink my morning coffee in this room every day!

posted by Offtza on November 8, 2011 at 3:00am
view Offtza's profile

Wow, thanks so much for the comments! Right now, I'm drinking strong morning coffee and know I will miss the "heart" of my home. Thankfully the new owners belong here!

posted by bethko on November 9, 2011 at 10:34am
view bethko's profile

oh, love!! too bad you're selling! didn't even have to look past the first pic b4 voting.

posted by sesteadman88 on November 10, 2011 at 9:38pm
view sesteadman88's profile

I love the heart of your home--so sunny, warm and inviting...just the way one would want the kitchen to be. Gathering around the table here would be a joy. I hope you've had lots of happy memories here. Love the deck too....so very lovely.

posted by GardenMuse on November 13, 2011 at 12:46pm
view GardenMuse's profile

What a lovely kitchen! I am awestruck. I can't believe you want to sell, and move out! I hope your new home can be as beautiful as this one.

posted by cemab4y on November 15, 2011 at 11:49pm
view cemab4y's profile

I love the table - that idea is definitely going in my inspiration file.

posted by kmehl on November 17, 2011 at 3:02am
view kmehl's profile

I have enjoyed many meals ,cups of tea and the occasional glass of wine in this warm and cheery kitchen. She has an eye for color and the courage to go beyond my limited imagination. A real winner to my eyes.

posted by Helen from Calgary on November 21, 2011 at 6:31pm
view Helen from Calgary's profile