Emily's "Appetizing Retro Fun" Kitchen

Appetizing Retro Fun

Name:

Emily

Seattle, Washington

Division:

West

Colors Used

C2 Paint: • 476 Paper Clip • 102 Chutney • 136 Daffodil • 260 Kauai Forbo Marmoleum • Dual 621 Dove Gray

Color Inspiration

The original homeowner built our floating kitchen cabinets himself. The dark walnut finish is in perfect condition. A cosmetic remodel meant working around those. We created an addition to provide space for the dishwasher and designated dishwashing station. Starting with the hard surfaces was easier because there were fewer choices of those. We could visualize those colors. The paint was overwhelming. To make the addition most functional and budget conscious, we used laminate on a lot of the surfaces: countertops, cabinetry, and table. After we narrowed down the 1" mosaic tiles to a blue and yellow mix for the backsplash, we then chose the orange, blue, and most importantly, gray laminates. The gray was then repeated in the flooring. From those surfaces, we matched each in a C2 Paint Color. The paint colors were easy to select with the hard surfaces in each space. We could feel what balanced best. Having Scandinavian heritage, the balance also brought us home.

Color Tips

Balancing natural neutrals with strong color is the key to making it all come together. By repeating the gray of the flooring on the other horizontal surfaces: ceiling and countertops, we provided a very serene foundation from which to introduce strong, vivid color in the addition. The warmth and depth of the dark wood also provided a certain natural quality that helped to balance the intensity of the color for the rest of the finishes. We certainly knew that no white could be used with such saturated and vibrant color. The contrast would introduce a certain upset to the balance of the space.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (18)

What a fun space! I love it.

posted by LeAnn__ on November 8, 2011 at 11:43am
view LeAnn__'s profile

I love the color combination - so unique and beautiful! Thank you for inspiring me to add color to my otherwise white walls!

posted by Girl On The Go Organizing on November 8, 2011 at 12:38pm
view Girl On The Go Organizing's profile

Very vibrant!

posted by Tracy333 on November 8, 2011 at 1:01pm
view Tracy333's profile

I love the tiled soffit.

posted by knitsmcgee on November 8, 2011 at 6:10pm
view knitsmcgee's profile

Gorgeous and warm!

posted by King Bee on November 8, 2011 at 7:20pm
view King Bee's profile

Yummy! I might actually want to learn to cook in that kitchen 'cause I would never want to leave it!

posted by A Whimsical Girl Named Debbie on November 8, 2011 at 8:08pm
view A Whimsical Girl Named Debbie's profile

Your kitchen is gorgeous. I'm so glad you kept your cabinets!

posted by atomicranch79 on November 8, 2011 at 10:02pm
view atomicranch79's profile

Thanks so much for all of the positive comments everyone! Yes, we couldn't have dared to part with the cabinets. They were a lot of why we bought the house. Intense color is wonderful in the kitchen for sure!

posted by emilylauderback on November 8, 2011 at 10:20pm
view emilylauderback's profile

I can only wonder how beautiful the rest of the house might be.

posted by Terry Clark on November 9, 2011 at 5:08am
view Terry Clark's profile

Loved the bright colors here-- fantastic! Balances and highlights the woodwork.
More, please.

posted by austere on November 9, 2011 at 7:47am
view austere's profile

wow, fun is right!

posted by andreainmaine on November 9, 2011 at 12:54pm
view andreainmaine's profile

how fun !!

posted by pizzapi on November 9, 2011 at 3:46pm
view pizzapi's profile

Great use of color - everything flows together beautifully!

posted by nomarie on November 9, 2011 at 5:48pm
view nomarie's profile

Flow and balance of color is extremely important to me! I am extremely energetically sensitive and am really affected by a space if the colors' relationships are not working well together. I literally feel it! Since our perception of color is a result of light reflected back to us, I have come to understand that light is energy and that's what I'm feeling. Understanding color theory and physics has helped me with managing my sensitivity actually!

posted by emilylauderback on November 10, 2011 at 12:16am

This should be getting way more votes. Love it.

posted by brennan on November 10, 2011 at 8:55am
view brennan's profile

Thanks so much, Brennan! Perhaps you can share it on Facebook and spread the word... :)!

posted by emilylauderback on November 11, 2011 at 4:01am

I love this kitchen!

posted by mg0224 on November 15, 2011 at 10:34am
view mg0224's profile

This space is crazy, I love it. I really want to see the rest of your house. vintage done well.

posted by gray bert on November 17, 2011 at 1:50am
view gray bert's profile