Calli's "Second Hand Hues" Room

Second Hand Hues

Name:

Calli

Kamloops, Canada

Division:

International

Colors Used

Gray acts as a neutral base with the accessories adding colour - mainly pink, green and turquoise.

Color Inspiration

My approach to decorating is to buy what I like and I like colour! I also try not to take anything too seriously or get wrapped up in silly rules. A large portion of my furniture and accessories have been handed down, such as a turquoise molded plastic chair that sits in my living room. I love the character and charm in these pieces and could never turn them down simply because they don't work within a specific design scheme.

Color Tips

Colour is very personal so it's important that you love it, regardless of what the professionals (or your mother) say. Although paint is a bigger commitment than colourful accessories, it's still temporary, so don't be afraid to experiment!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (22)

Just the right amount of color and warmth to keep this cool space homey and inviting. Perfect!

posted by bellsonhopi on November 11, 2011 at 11:24am
view bellsonhopi's profile

Great room! Love the combination of gray and the little touches of bright colors with accessories.

posted by zamuz on November 11, 2011 at 9:04am
view zamuz's profile

Where do you get that fabulous sofa? I love it! And the combination of gray and pops of colors, I agree that gray is a great neutral.

posted by emwalrath on November 11, 2011 at 1:50pm
view emwalrath's profile

I second the request re: the sofa... where's it from? I love it!

posted by kakoivisto on November 11, 2011 at 2:30pm
view kakoivisto's profile

I'd also be interested in knowing where you got your sofa.

posted by AbbeyJ on November 11, 2011 at 2:33pm
view AbbeyJ's profile

Love the lamp! That interior color gives such an unexpected pop!

posted by AnnaMaria Stephens on November 11, 2011 at 2:33pm
view AnnaMaria Stephens's profile

Love the coffee table. Where did you get it?

posted by looking on November 11, 2011 at 4:14pm
view looking's profile

Wow! Thank you all so much for the kind words. I've been in my home for a little over a year so it is still a work in progress but you're feedback makes me think I'm heading in the right direction.

To answer your questions...

I purchased the sofa last year from The Bay. It's a department store in Canada unfortunately, however the brand is Max Home (American company), the style is Modena, and the colour is Granite.

The coffee table is one of my favorite pieces in the whole house. It is made of monkeypod and has been passed down to me. My grandparents actually brought it home from their honeymoon in Hawaii over 50 years years ago which is quite special.

Thanks again!

posted by CalliD on November 11, 2011 at 5:00pm
view CalliD's profile

Where is the rug from?

posted by MarisaNYC on November 11, 2011 at 8:38pm
view MarisaNYC's profile

MarisaNYC - The rug is from IKEA

posted by CalliD on November 11, 2011 at 9:47pm
view CalliD's profile

I like this space: great use of color, balanced amounts of pattern & not too much clutter - one of my favorites so far!! I think I'd put canned lighting in the kitchen area to make the room feel taller (easier said than done tho:) ..

posted by Dana J on November 12, 2011 at 1:02am
view Dana J's profile

I'm really liking the gray. love what you've done to this place so far. I'm not a designer but I feel some unique type of chandelier over the dinning table would look great.Great job!!

posted by Vicky from San Bruno,Ca on November 12, 2011 at 2:43pm
view Vicky from San Bruno,Ca's profile

Thanks for doing such a great job of representing B.C.! Love everything about this.

posted by kalexander on November 13, 2011 at 1:32am
view kalexander's profile

I really like this!
One question... maybe I am blind but I do not see a turquoise chair in the living room.

posted by noticetothepublic on November 12, 2011 at 9:10pm
view noticetothepublic's profile

Noticetothepublic - Unfortunately the turquoise chair looks a bit more sea-foam green and sits beneath the main window so it isn't really a feature in any of the photos. You can see it in the last photo if you look past the dining table!

posted by CalliD on November 12, 2011 at 9:23pm
view CalliD's profile

I LOVE IT !!!!
And I loved it even more when I spotted the bold cushion on the wicker chair, I have exactly the same cushion right next to me all the way over in Guernsey (Channel Islands) !!

posted by Wilma's Wonder on November 13, 2011 at 6:37am
view Wilma's Wonder's profile

This home has a nice balance...interesting pieces, cozy, stylish but not overdone in anyway.

posted by MEBJohnson on November 13, 2011 at 6:40pm
view MEBJohnson's profile

oops! not overdone in any way. ;-)

posted by MEBJohnson on November 13, 2011 at 6:51pm
view MEBJohnson's profile

i hate it when people all pile on saying "where did you get the XXX?" but now i must know: where did that wonderful oversize lamp next to couch come from?

posted by mdk on November 13, 2011 at 10:31pm
view mdk's profile

Thanks again to everyone who has voted for my room or posted a comment!

mdk - The lamp is from Winners. I went in looking for a spice rack and came home with a lamp. In my defense it was on clearance so I really couldn't say no!

posted by CalliD on November 14, 2011 at 11:54am
view CalliD's profile

Love it! This is the same kind of color palate my sister and I want to use for our re-model of our mom's bedroom. I love the many-neutral backdrop and the pops of color! I was getting tired of the design-bloggy "grey, white, and one other color" look I've been seeing everywhere.

posted by bodicegoddess on November 15, 2011 at 5:46pm
view bodicegoddess's profile

Nice artwork.

posted by Aritul on November 24, 2011 at 12:34am
view Aritul's profile