Name:

Suzanne

Salt Lake City, Utah

Division:

West

Colors Used

Yellow, white, grey, turquoise, pink.

Color Inspiration

I live in a house full of boys and wanted to create a room for myself that was light, bright and unabashedly girly. The jumping off point came from the Thomas Paul Aviary fabric in maize which I used to reupholster the office chair. I juxtaposed that with a more graphic large scale print on the front. I also lined the back of the bookshelves in a smaller chevron in the same colorway. I then used the Aviary fabric on the light shade, and even found a ready upholstered bench. I painted the desk white with a grey top and the room a lighter shade of grey which is a nice neutral backdrop. The yellow and white is continued throughout with the accessories. The room is quite dark despite the two windows, and the original trim is unpainted wood. To visually lighten the room I chose white painted furniture.

Color Tips

This is quite a small room, so I chose to use one main color and then repeated it throughout. This helps bring a cohesiveness to a small space. The secondary colors visually complement and don't compete with the main color.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (41)

I love this room! I have a bedroom with drapes in that same yellow (similar pattern but not exact) and a chair that is waiting to be recovered. I love the two patterns!

posted by Mama Gigi on November 2, 2011 at 9:18am
view Mama Gigi's profile

I adore this room!!! It's such a fresh space and with a house of all boys it's a great retreat for you. Hands down, absolutely love it! I'm glad you aren't in the north division...LOL!!

posted by LeAnn__ on November 2, 2011 at 10:10am
view LeAnn__'s profile

Would love to know the name of the grey color on the walls. love how it works with the unpainted wood!

posted by jaimemariel on November 2, 2011 at 10:40am
view jaimemariel's profile

So well coordinated. Beautiful.

posted by nancyalice on November 2, 2011 at 10:43am
view nancyalice's profile

Love the mix of the Thomas Paul with the chevron - and how you carried the same fabrics throughout the space.

It's both calm and energizing - so fabulous!

posted by potpie on November 2, 2011 at 11:12am
view potpie's profile

Lovely!

posted by GeorgiaMete on November 2, 2011 at 11:12am
view GeorgiaMete's profile

Completely adore.

posted by bandanamom on November 2, 2011 at 12:02pm
view bandanamom's profile

I am SO excited about this room. I have a house full of this dark trim and I'm always fighting with myself not to paint it- this proves I don't have to paint it to have the chic, modern style I want. Suzanne- do you have a blog?! I'd love to see more rooms. <3

posted by Kate119 on November 2, 2011 at 12:08pm
view Kate119's profile

fabulous

posted by joseph23 on November 2, 2011 at 1:35pm
view joseph23's profile

LOVE this room! Definitely one of my favorite color combinations! Absolutely love your chair! Very jealous!

posted by Tracy333 on November 2, 2011 at 1:16pm
view Tracy333's profile

Love this room - my favorite by far.

posted by magicsbm on November 2, 2011 at 1:19pm
view magicsbm's profile

Love this!

posted by Newburgh Restoration on November 2, 2011 at 2:16pm
view Newburgh Restoration's profile

Coulda been a great fav, but can we see more of the room pls?

posted by hooksies on November 2, 2011 at 2:59pm
view hooksies's profile

Suzanne, can you source the rug for me, please? I just love it!

posted by lwyrgrl1 on November 2, 2011 at 4:05pm
view lwyrgrl1's profile

Very Sarah Richardson-ian.
Well done!

posted by CanadianMango on November 2, 2011 at 4:15pm
view CanadianMango's profile

By far, this is the best entry. Suzanne, you have a gorgeous sense of color and design. I love how the room is serene yet lively, relaxed yet elegant at the same time. Congrats on creating a truly beautiful space!

posted by Ocher Velvet on November 2, 2011 at 5:05pm
view Ocher Velvet's profile

This is my favourite entry by far. The colours, the different prints, the desk accessories (hello yellow lamp!)... love it all.

posted by anita-k on November 2, 2011 at 5:21pm
view anita-k's profile

It's hard to go wrong on gray and yellow. Nice job

posted by Muesli on November 2, 2011 at 5:45pm
view Muesli's profile

Lovely room. What type of carpet is that on the floor?

posted by purplecharm on November 2, 2011 at 8:38pm
view purplecharm's profile

Great job. This is a masterclass in using one color to make an impact, a lesson I need to remember in my small space. I like the clever touch of the sun-shaped mirror.

posted by Steverino1 on November 2, 2011 at 10:58pm
view Steverino1's profile

yellow is my favorite color. love!

posted by e53 on November 3, 2011 at 2:54pm
view e53's profile

Yes, by faarrrr the best. It's clear.

posted by hooksies on November 3, 2011 at 8:23pm
view hooksies's profile

Hello people, Suzanne here. Thanks so much for all of the positive comments. I'm so flattered, truly.

Let me answer some of your questions. The carpet is wall to wall seagrass. I had it installed 10 years ago, and it's held up pretty well.

I do have a blog. It's www.backonfestiveroad.blogspot.com. Please come and visit. I've put some more pictures of the room on there.

And finally, thanks for the Sarah Richardson comment, that really made my day!

posted by britabroad on November 3, 2011 at 8:51pm
view britabroad's profile

This is a room I would love to live in! Bright but calm, detailed but uncluttered, textured but serene. Brava.

posted by PopcornGal on November 4, 2011 at 12:15am
view PopcornGal's profile

Oh, and the rug is the zigzag rug from Urban Outfitters. It comes in blue, black and grey.

Kate119 - I too struggle with the dark brown trim. But I think that putting in light furniture is a good solution. I fortunately have a white kitchen with white trim and white bathrooms. You could do that. But the main rooms and hallways have never been painted and after 100 years I'd hate to be the one to change that.

posted by britabroad on November 4, 2011 at 9:43am

Please answer my question, what is the grey color on the walls? Thank you!

posted by jaimemariel on November 4, 2011 at 10:09am
view jaimemariel's profile

*SWOON!!! J'adore!!

posted by Reeses902 on November 4, 2011 at 1:31pm
view Reeses902's profile

Beautiful! I could definitely work in there.

posted by alahoop on November 4, 2011 at 2:45pm
view alahoop's profile

The paint color is a modified Behr Manhattan Mist. I originally chose the paint from a swatch. Big mistake. Especially with grey. Once I had painted a wall, I realized that it was more lilac or baby blue (can't remember which) than what I wanted. So I took the can to Home Depot and they added some brown. It still looks lilac or blue in some light.

posted by britabroad on November 4, 2011 at 3:09pm

Where did you get that desk? PS I love that you painted the top btw!

posted by Christina @ 2230H on November 4, 2011 at 11:06pm
view Christina @ 2230H's profile

Christina - It's a mexican pine desk from a local store in Salt Lake that used to sell imported pine furniture. It weighs an absolute tonne, but it has a really large work surface which is nice. I originally painted the bottom in black and left the top natural. When I redid the office earlier this year I decided to paint the bottom white and the top grey. The knobs are from anthropologie.

posted by britabroad on November 4, 2011 at 11:22pm

Thanks for the quick response! Adore it all!

posted by Christina @ 2230H on November 5, 2011 at 2:07am
view Christina @ 2230H's profile

Love the colour scheme and contrast between the stripey chevron rug and the floral upholstery.....fantastic!!

posted by malcofarabia on November 5, 2011 at 4:15pm
view malcofarabia's profile

Suzanne, I think you have been lying to me about your house! However, I *did* favorite you. Maybe someday I can see this in person, no?

posted by zhenefaire on November 6, 2011 at 1:25am
view zhenefaire's profile

zhenefaire (jenne), my door is always open. Just give me a few minutes notice to kick the lego and clothes under the sofa. And thanks for the vote! Now if only all the other people on Pinterest that have pinned my room would vote ;)

posted by mrgrimsdale on November 6, 2011 at 4:15pm
view mrgrimsdale's profile

I pinned and I'm voting. Love it!

posted by mellowyellow64 on November 8, 2011 at 10:18pm
view mellowyellow64's profile

it's mega girly...but it all works so i'm voting.

posted by fernyone on November 10, 2011 at 3:01pm
view fernyone's profile

This is a beautiful combination Suzanne. It's actually the same grey I used at our house, and I love the combination with the brighter yet elegant yellow. Bravo.

posted by marinaoneill on November 12, 2011 at 2:58pm
view marinaoneill's profile

This IS very elegant! Nice color combination too! :)

posted by mahzer&vee on November 14, 2011 at 5:04pm
view mahzer&vee's profile

Just the adore the tailored, singular look of cozy space.

posted by ronsmom on November 18, 2011 at 4:31pm
view ronsmom's profile

Beautiful room! I love the contrasting fabric and the bold yellow. Terrific choices--you're very talented.

posted by KatherineAnn on November 20, 2011 at 1:40pm
view KatherineAnn's profile