Elizabeth's "Rose & Clover" Room

"Rose & Clover"

Name:

Elizabeth

Seattle, Washington

Division:

West

Colors Used

Paint is a mint to sage depending on the light, with pink but not bubble gum pink furniture, warm neutral accents in the rug and other chair and dark wood.

Color Inspiration

All of our furniture is second hand, so we'd already had the pink arm chair for over a year when we got the couch. We then suddenly became "the people with pink furniture". The green contrasts with it nicely, and keeps the furniture from looking like Barbie's Dream House. We really wanted to use fun unexpected colors since the pieces themselves are mostly so traditional, and sometimes period pieces. I think color has been a powerful tool for us to express what silly, creative people we are, even with more traditional pieces. It also keeps our space bright and fun even during Seattle's long overcast periods.

Color Tips

If you want to use bright, rich, non-neutral colors, pick something a little off from the standard. For example: If you want red, try a brick or terracotta, if you want blue try one a little more aqua or periwinkle, if you want green try one a little chartreuse or sage. I think not hitting colors right on the crayon interpretation lets a space look more sophisticated, while still being able to bring in strong colors.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (28)

that cat bed is adorable!

posted by Tara Emelye on November 4, 2011 at 10:17am
view Tara Emelye's profile

I love everything about this room. Fantastic!

posted by sandyliz on November 4, 2011 at 10:06am
view sandyliz's profile

I have a strong affection for the color on your walls, unfortunately, the BF really dislikes it. Happy to see someone gets to live with it! Also, I totally have a peek n prize too!

posted by MissBojambo on November 4, 2011 at 11:26am
view MissBojambo's profile

wow! I would love to spend some time relaxing with a cup of tea in this room.

posted by e53 on November 4, 2011 at 4:33pm
view e53's profile

Fantastic, love it!!!

posted by brianmason on November 4, 2011 at 1:32pm
view brianmason's profile

I love this in part because I'm sympathetic to your sensibility overall. But also I think pinks and greens work well together in general. Good call (and good advice) regarding using more subdued versions of favorite colors to get the effect you want. I desperately wanted to paint our tiny dingy dining room a lively grassy green and went too intense. Now we're living with it for a while.

posted by bellsonhopi on November 4, 2011 at 1:51pm
view bellsonhopi's profile

Oh, your pink couch and chair are gorgeous! And that tiny cat chaise is adorable!

posted by cakowalik on November 4, 2011 at 3:11pm
view cakowalik's profile

ditto cakowalik--- so dreamy!!

posted by falklandgirl on November 4, 2011 at 3:17pm
view falklandgirl's profile

WWTD?

posted by tonia329 on November 4, 2011 at 6:09pm
view tonia329's profile

Bully!

posted by rosenatti on November 4, 2011 at 6:23pm
view rosenatti's profile

Ditto cakowalik and falklandgirl. Cute kitty too.

posted by peggybelle on November 4, 2011 at 8:52pm
view peggybelle's profile

Love it so much it hurts. And I need that cat bed.

posted by Muffy St John on November 4, 2011 at 9:12pm
view Muffy St John's profile

Like the peek of the cute kitchen in photo #4, would love to see the rest!!

posted by permagrrl on November 4, 2011 at 9:30pm
view permagrrl's profile

Would you share the name of the paint color? So pretty!

posted by GreenLadyPants on November 5, 2011 at 12:25am
view GreenLadyPants's profile

The thing over the cat bed.... what is it? It's so cool! In fact, your whole room is awesome! Obviously now investing in a cat chaise.

posted by ChefSylviaPlath on November 5, 2011 at 12:30am
view ChefSylviaPlath's profile

Wow! Thank you everyone for such kind comments!

tonia329: He would found our National Parks and then write an account of seeing a Sasquatch on a hunting trip. (True story.)

sillysara: I would love to show you more of my cute kitchen. There are more pictures of it and the rest of the apartment at my recent home tour at the Offbeat Home: http://offbeathome.com/2011/11/decorate-sense-of-humor

GreenLadyPants: Sadly, my paint is the cheapo ACE hardware brand, but it's holding up quite well and only took 2 coats. The color name is "Dragon's Hide" and yes I do select paints on the name.

ChefSylviaPlath: The thing over the cat bed is a harmonium. It looks like a keyboard with buttons on the side when you open it up, but it's actually more in the accordion family. It's a really fun instrument, in part because it's so easy and makes nice sounds kind of whatever you do to it.

posted by LizU on November 5, 2011 at 4:44pm
view LizU's profile

Totally original and inspiring! I love how you've married a formal traditional style with the quirky lovable art. Also appreciate the fact that you found your own style without going out and spending a bundle on expensive trendy furniture. Oh, and the colors are divine and simple!

posted by kbfromlb on November 5, 2011 at 11:02pm
view kbfromlb's profile

Where did you find those amazing portraits??

posted by Stephanie Kimberly on November 7, 2011 at 7:41pm
view Stephanie Kimberly's profile

Stephanie: The portraits are by Travis Louie. He is amazing, right?

posted by LizU on November 8, 2011 at 7:20pm
view LizU's profile

I love the quirkiness. I'd like to see the light fixture by the portraits a little better. Unique!

posted by SamU on November 9, 2011 at 3:00am
view SamU's profile

SamU: ha! Thanks, Dad, for trying to give me an opening to talk about my DIY lamp. It still hasn't caused any fires!

posted by LizU on November 9, 2011 at 7:45pm
view LizU's profile

Where did you come across your TR photo?
I know where we got ours.
Swap stories?
In Seattle as well!

posted by regis8104 on November 10, 2011 at 5:10pm
view regis8104's profile

Our TR photo came from the Dearborn Goodwill, actually. It's by Pirie MacDonald, and the frame job looks fairly old. Do you have a similar one? What is its story?

posted by LizU on November 10, 2011 at 7:31pm
view LizU's profile

In response to your comment on my room: I agree! I wish the wall wrapped around, but there is something really magical about all of the color being in one place.
Anyways, I absolutely adore your room and couldn't help but adding it to my favorites.
Just lovely, really.

posted by Ae Moore on November 10, 2011 at 9:05pm
view Ae Moore's profile

Lovely. I really enjoy the creamy green on the walls. Beautiful!

posted by HandmadeKatie on November 11, 2011 at 12:24am
view HandmadeKatie's profile

this is just the perfect mix between a dollhouse and a cozy parlor. i love this.

posted by A_Glorious on November 13, 2011 at 1:02am
view A_Glorious's profile

Amazing the sofa for the cat! I adore the palette: a perfect place for writing new songs...

posted by the musician on November 18, 2011 at 4:01pm
view the musician's profile

i would have never thought of bringing these particular colors into my home, but i love it. and i love the tiny cat chaise, too.

posted by jednakasia on November 20, 2011 at 1:55am
view jednakasia's profile