Name:

Anna

Brooklyn, New York

Division:

East

Colors Used

Benjamin Moore Midnight Dream 2129-10

Color Inspiration

I always wanted to paint a whole room black, walls and ceiling. I wanted to let the room disappear and see only the objects in it, but I never trusted myself. As we bought a vacation home a year ago with an unfinished basement, we decided to remodel and build a relaxing room with sauna. Black was the perfect color for it. I choose a high-gloss to disguise low ceilings. Now when I enter the room I have feeling I am below the night sky.

Color Tips

Dark color makes the room appear more spacious, but whatever color you choose, if you have time to diy or the money to hire a professional, sand between the coats. Even with flat finish. The result is unbelievable.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (15)

Beautiful color choice...very unusual and what a result! the black really gives the room a very suductive and mystirious feeling.. love the glossy finish on the ceiling ...makes it look like a midnight sky

posted by Irina Rakhlis on November 8, 2011 at 9:53am
view Irina Rakhlis's profile

This is definitely daring and pretty cool, especially for a basement! But I'm confused--you brought a vacation house in Brooklyn? I guess I'm asking if this room is in a house in Brooklyn or somewhere else.

posted by bellsonhopi on November 8, 2011 at 10:44am
view bellsonhopi's profile

Oops--that's "bought" not "brought."

posted by bellsonhopi on November 8, 2011 at 10:44am
view bellsonhopi's profile

No, the house located in Poconos. You made me laugh. I live in Brooklyn and would never consider buying vacation home there.

posted by anna.s on November 8, 2011 at 11:15am
view anna.s's profile

Thrilled you were brave and painted the ceiling, too.

posted by jendavid1000 on November 8, 2011 at 12:39pm
view jendavid1000's profile

The black is definitely very sexy and the room is very versatile - allows for large gatherings yet has a very cozy and intimate spot by the fire-place. I love how the colorful painting by the wine rack pops against the black walls. I would feel very relaxed in a room like this.

posted by Carla Athena on November 8, 2011 at 1:16pm
view Carla Athena's profile

This is one cool room !

posted by tntbab4evr on November 8, 2011 at 5:16pm
view tntbab4evr's profile

I love how all the colors in the room open the space up! I think light yellow and light cyan are perfect together - with the dark backround they vibrate together in an entirely new way.

posted by Steph Sh on November 8, 2011 at 5:17pm
view Steph Sh's profile

yeah, it's great that you embraced the low-ceilinged challenge of the basement-- too often you see people (especially landlords) go the other way with basements and paint everything white, which just makes any spacial defects all the more glaring

posted by e53 on November 8, 2011 at 7:20pm
view e53's profile

For all those who don't know Brooklyn, there aren't just tight spots in BK there is also the ocean side of Brooklyn. These colors are beautiful. I can't wait until I am finished with my basement brownstone apt.

posted by Stayls on November 8, 2011 at 7:24pm
view Stayls's profile

I'm in love with the bookshelf made of wood and pipes. Was is custom made?

posted by Joank on November 9, 2011 at 4:50am
view Joank's profile

I bought black paint and have yet to use it, commitment issues :) Most of the black rooms I have seen online are filled with high end furniture and accessories the common folk can't afford. Your room is an example of design within reach, nice job.

posted by mek8004 on November 9, 2011 at 6:17am
view mek8004's profile

Thank you all for the warm words and support.
Joank - we did the bookshelves and the coffee table ourselves. The inspiration was “The Brick House” http://www.the-brick-house.com/2009/09/shelving-unit/
We plan to stain it in the future, but we spend only weekends in the house, so all projects take longer than usual :(

posted by anna.s on November 9, 2011 at 8:56am
view anna.s's profile

Great

posted by moggie on November 9, 2011 at 9:30am
view moggie's profile

very nice! good job. love the black wall.

posted by Vicky from San Bruno,Ca on November 13, 2011 at 6:26pm
view Vicky from San Bruno,Ca's profile