Laura's "Moroccan Modern" Room

Moroccan Modern

Name:

Laura

Tucson, Arizona

Division:

West

Colors Used

Paradise Green inside the arch, Grey Teal on the arabesque detail, Mountain Gloaming on the wall with the mums stenciled, Chimayo Red on the painted 'crown moulding' plus various other colors on the archway.

Color Inspiration

I love blues and greens. I followed my instincts and these colors felt right. I started with the green in the arch and went from there. On the other side of the room the color is predominantly Teal and all the colors work together beautifully. I LOVE color and having it in my space is paramount to my happiness. I paid attention to details like how I handled the bullnose corners and how all the colors worked with the OUTSIDE of the house which is a color called Colonial Brown, a very earthy red.

Color Tips

Go for the drama!! Forget playing it safe...it's just paint. If it doesn't work, you can change is so easily! Have fun with the process. if you have to take weeks making a color choice, you're overthinking it.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (18)

That green is just mind-blowingly gorgeous! The whole thing is pretty sensational. Impressive.

posted by bellsonhopi on November 1, 2011 at 5:21pm
view bellsonhopi's profile

Laura is amazing.. Ive seen her work in person, it is jaw dropping beautiful.. such a great talent. love it.

posted by speakestoo on November 1, 2011 at 1:52pm
view speakestoo's profile

Oooh! What paint technique did you use to get that colourwashed-looking finished?

posted by EC_ on November 1, 2011 at 5:26pm
view EC_'s profile

Yay! Someone from my hometown!

I also like the paisley patterned couch and the pillows. Great overall vibe to the room.

posted by RocketScientist on November 1, 2011 at 5:30pm
view RocketScientist's profile

I may have to steal your technique for where two different paint colors meet on an outside corner. It's like entredeux in paint. Clever way to deal with those rounded corners of old plaster walls.

posted by spaceystacey on November 1, 2011 at 7:51pm
view spaceystacey's profile

fantastic. why do we only see this corner?

posted by Lady J on November 1, 2011 at 8:29pm
view Lady J's profile

I am trying to create a morrocan room too. I need help Laura! You did an awesome job. What is that sitting? Is that a bed? What's a good place/website to find morrocan stuff for cheap?

posted by Pinkett on November 1, 2011 at 11:53pm
view Pinkett's profile

I love this and the fact that it's in Tucson is even better!

posted by stellarkar on November 2, 2011 at 5:01am
view stellarkar's profile

oh dear, are those Christmas balls hanging from the ceiling?

posted by joseph23 on November 2, 2011 at 1:32pm
view joseph23's profile

Thanks so much everybody! There are some pretty amazing spaces in this contest, glad to be among them all.

@EC, the paint technique on the green involves flinging water at halfway dry paint, letting it drip and then lifting the newly wet paint back off, creating a lighter area. The teal is just watered down paint, literally washed on with a rag. Both techniques are pretty easy...

@Home Body, Thanks for the suggestion, I might try it! In real life, they don't seem quite as high as they appear in the photos here. But I am 5'11" tall, so maybe my 'eye level' is higher than most :-)

@Lady J, I could only submit 5 photos and for cohesiveness, showed only that side of the room. You can see more of my home on my blog www.hayestone.blogspot.com/p/my-home.html

@Pinkett The couch/settee is from Urban Outfitters about 5 years ago, what they called a floor cushion platform. I added my own cushions and pillows and that's what I use instead of a couch. I love how it's low to the ground, which is consistent with Moroccan furniture. You can find things like lanterns and poufs at places like Z Gallerie, HomeGoods and Ross and mix them in with all the popular textiles out right now; Quatefoils, arabesques and even the ever trendy chevron all have roots in Moroccan design.

@RocketScientist and stellarkar, woot woot, Tucson in tha' House!

@joseph23, No, those aren't Christmas balls hanging from the ceiling, but thanks for the idea!! If you are interested, you can find out what they are by visiting my blog here: http://hayestone.blogspot.com/2010/11/glass-grapes-and-raindrops.html

Hey, thanks everybody for taking time out of your day to leave a comment! Win or lose, glad to be here!

posted by Laura @ Design Share on November 4, 2011 at 1:28am
view Laura @ Design Share's profile

Inspiring. Gorgeous. Sensational. Well done.

posted by Reeses902 on November 4, 2011 at 1:36pm
view Reeses902's profile

Oh and @ spaceystacey, I had to look up entredeux...I had no idea what that meant! But now that I know, you're right, it *does* look like that! Cool reference, thanks for increasing my vocabulary :-)

posted by Laura @ Design Share on November 4, 2011 at 6:28pm

I like this because it's different! :) :) nice!

posted by mahzer&vee on November 14, 2011 at 4:50pm
view mahzer&vee's profile

Laura! I absolutely LOVE this room.

- How did you paint that green arch? Did you use a stencil or some other technique? I'm sorry if it's obvious--I'm a novice. I'm going for a moroccan/modern look in our home too and would LOVE to recreate something like this!
- And what have you done at the corner? Are those tiny mirrors or also paint?
- what are those blue hanging things--are they candle holders?

posted by ilovedamasks on November 17, 2011 at 2:41pm
view ilovedamasks's profile

Laura's whole house elicits "ooooooohhh" and "aaahhhhhhh" from all who see it. Especially this wonderful wall!

posted by magicpowers on November 18, 2011 at 12:18pm
view magicpowers's profile

I have a home in Tucson that was transformed by Laura's magic. This is design that captivates not only visitors, but those who merely see photographs of the space.

posted by Elle Rudolph on November 19, 2011 at 12:21am
view Elle Rudolph's profile

Thanks again everybody! @ ilovedamasks: I painted the arch freehand, but I had to find the center of the wall both horizontally and vertically and then used a pencil tied to a string which was pinned at the center point to create an even half circle (it acts as a kind of compass) I then moved the pin up about six inches and created the second (top) line of the arch. The corners are just stenciled, so it's paint, the same teal blue used elsewhere. The hanging blue thing are glass grapes i found at Goodwill. Read about that project here: http://hayestone.blogspot.com/2010/11/glass-grapes-and-raindrops.html. Thanks for all the great questions!
Cheers,
Laura

posted by Laura @ Design Share on November 20, 2011 at 5:31pm

Awesome - I love it!

Where did you get that lighted tree from?

posted by orangeappled on November 22, 2011 at 4:35am
view orangeappled's profile