Joseph's "Flamboyant Solemnity" Room

Flamboyant Solemnity

Name:

Joseph

Quebec, Canada

Division:

International

Colors Used

The walls are painted in Benjamin Moore's "Toasted Mauve" and "White Rock". The green cabinet is a flea-market re-do that we for some reason painted in the most hideous grass green... though I think I'm actually growing love it. The mustard-ish wall you can barely see in the adjoining dining room is BM's "Semolina". The hallway is a soft sage green.

Color Inspiration

We tried to inject some youthful, bohemian energy into our apartment, which, with all its imposing woodwork, can sometimes make you feel like you're living in a Catholic church. Add to that our black cat and talk about spooky-time. But we also didn't want to disrespect the apartment's mature and sober elegance. Basically it all started from the pink silk cushion you see on the chair. Pink is so underrated, people!

Color Tips

We have made too many spur-of-the-moment mistakes and had to repaint too many walls to say "go with whatever you love". Rather, one really has to PLAN PLAN PLAN ahead of time, and work with the way the natural light enters the room as well as the overall ambience of the apartment's bare bones.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (10)

This is nice change from the largely bright MCM-ish rooms (many of which are lovely, but still, good to have variety). I like the rose-mauve upper walls with the warm wood and the dark leather furniture, and the charming green cabinet livens things up.

For what it's worth, I would suggest a coffee table--the center of the room looks pretty bare--and maybe a couple of lighter throw pillows on the sofa.

posted by bellsonhopi on November 2, 2011 at 1:33pm
view bellsonhopi's profile

The mauve is a good choice for our long, cold winters up here. I wouldn't have thought of it myself, but it really adds warmth.

posted by Lisa (Montreal) on November 2, 2011 at 2:42pm
view Lisa (Montreal)'s profile

NOT a hideous grass green. A lovely bright, summery green that is the perfect counter point in that room. Well done!

posted by princessavi on November 2, 2011 at 8:33pm
view princessavi's profile

I love the clock. It's antique but funky! Looks like a great room for conversation among friends. love it!

posted by twille on November 2, 2011 at 10:30pm
view twille's profile

Wonderful! You have shown a great sense of style - simple and sophisticated without going over the top. It's a difficult balance to achieve and you have done it flawlessly.

posted by denise.doucet on November 3, 2011 at 11:04pm
view denise.doucet's profile

Very attractive room! (the big, color-coordinated star in the window is a plus) :)

posted by Honore on November 4, 2011 at 1:06pm
view Honore's profile

That green cabinet with the peacock feathers on top is so yummy I could eat it for lunch. The walls don't work for me though, so overall this doesn't get a "favorite" vote from me. :( The white against the mauve just doesn't flow.

posted by Reeses902 on November 4, 2011 at 1:19pm
view Reeses902's profile

On the contrary, I think the pink and cream are delightful together! Very whimsical.

posted by blackjack on November 4, 2011 at 9:53pm
view blackjack's profile

ps the little pink boat is just TOO CUTE!

posted by blackjack on November 4, 2011 at 9:54pm
view blackjack's profile

I feel your pain, I also have dark natural woodwork and it's hard to lighten the room and not make it feel too over the top, I think you've done a great job........remember practice makes perfect;-)

posted by andreainmaine on November 9, 2011 at 4:34pm
view andreainmaine's profile