Amanda 's "Vintage Blue" Room

Vintage Blue

Name:

Amanda

Corpus Christi, Texas

Division:

South

Colors Used

Where do I begin...blue/gray, yellow, turquoise, orange, navy, green, little pops of red...I really do not discriminate when it comes to color; although I have never really come to embrace pink or purple. Point being, I love color! Orange is a neutral in my home and I have always been a sicker for anything turquoise or teal.

Color Inspiration

I tend to gravitate to very bright colors, especially with accessories. Show me a turquoise vase or an orange picture frame I will have a hard time turning it down. Since I already had so many brightly colored accent pieces in the form of my plate collection, I went with a very soft soothing blue/grey wall color. The color is called pelican which is mildly amusing since I have never seen a blue grey/grey pelican; in my experience they are either white or brown. I was looking for a wall color that accentuated my colorful accessories not competed with them and I think I achieved that.

Color Tips

Using color is a give and take. If you have strong color in your furniture and accessories you may have to edit yourself on the walls and floors, but on the other hand if your furniture and accessories are neutral go crazy with the wall color or rug. There was a time when I went full on color with everything in a room and the overall effect looked like I had put Muppets in a blender. So my advice would be edit yourself…at least a little bit.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (18)

I love the yellow table. My mom has one like that and I want it but she is sooooo not ready to give it up yet.

posted by Anna Lisa on November 1, 2011 at 11:56am
view Anna Lisa's profile

I love this room. where did you get the anchor towel?

posted by hollywoodgin on November 1, 2011 at 10:44am
view hollywoodgin's profile

It is a napkin I picked up at world market over the summer.
Thank You!

posted by amandaRH on November 1, 2011 at 10:47am
view amandaRH's profile

Love!

posted by ElaneB on November 1, 2011 at 2:31pm
view ElaneB's profile

CC! Hometown...Represent. Nice work!

posted by oliveye on November 1, 2011 at 2:47pm
view oliveye's profile

Beautiful!

posted by Nadia K. on November 1, 2011 at 2:53pm
view Nadia K.'s profile

Love the plate collage on the wall!

posted by sactorageous on November 1, 2011 at 3:38pm
view sactorageous's profile

Love the plate collage. I have been collecting for my own and your design is an inspiration. Now will just have to paint the wall I want to put them on a different color, so they "pop" more.

posted by thesmilequeen on November 1, 2011 at 3:40pm
view thesmilequeen's profile

Lovely, and good plan re avoiding color overkill with a calmer, more neutral wall color. I have that table, or one very like it, in light grey, with four grey vinyl and chrome chairs--adore it.

posted by bellsonhopi on November 1, 2011 at 5:37pm
view bellsonhopi's profile

I love the color and the feeling you've created! Vintage plates are fun and easy to find when poking around tag sales and 'junk shops' cheap!..

posted by keeks on November 1, 2011 at 6:51pm
view keeks's profile

i use many of the same colors- want to see the rest of your place!

posted by desert girl on November 2, 2011 at 10:42am
view desert girl's profile

I love this room too. It's bright and whimsical, but without color overkill, as bellsonhopi noted. You've kept it simple and uncluttered, which allows the charm of your plates, chairs, and table to shine through.

posted by peggybelle on November 3, 2011 at 12:07am
view peggybelle's profile

I love your plate arrangement!

posted by RowRowRow on November 3, 2011 at 11:44am
view RowRowRow's profile

Love the plate collection! Might just have to do this myself.

posted by cindy siddon harrington on November 3, 2011 at 6:08pm
view cindy siddon harrington's profile

Love the plates!! It's somehow manages to look so bright and airy!! Like they're being blown by the wind. Good eye and impressive execution.

posted by Reeses902 on November 4, 2011 at 1:34pm
view Reeses902's profile

Love the plates.

posted by Sacha on November 5, 2011 at 3:00am
view Sacha's profile

Love the relaxed quirkiness. Makes me feel right at home.

posted by kbfromlb on November 5, 2011 at 12:43pm
view kbfromlb's profile

This room just makes me really happy. You nailed it with the plate collage, perfect blend of "premeditated whimsy" as Mary McDonald says!

posted by sara from garniture on November 17, 2011 at 10:23pm
view sara from garniture's profile