Kristina's "Cuban Vacation" Room

Cuban Vacation

Name:

Kristina

Portland, Oregon

Division:

West

Colors Used

Main colors: Seaside Resort, Mexican Spirit, Luck of the Irish, Cold North, Mexican Chile, Aruba Blue, Mullen Pink, Retro Gold Shag and Blue Island.

Color Inspiration

My inspiration comes from my travels to Brazil, Mexico, The Caymen Islands, Belize and Jamaica. My condo makes me feel like I'm on vacation every day. There are no two walls painted the same color just like the exteriors of the buildings in Belize. In all, there are 14 colors in this main room. The green wall is 5 different colors layered with a wet rag. I am a photographer, so it was important to me to showcase my love for photographs. The small vertical wall in my entryway became a mini gallery of black and white images that I love. The turquoise behind them made it a focal point! I found this painting of a man playing guitar at a street fair in Fortaleza, Brazil. This painting is a fusion of the passionate colors of Caribbean influence combined with bold, graphic, black strokes lending itself to the incorporation of a few modern pieces of furniture in the same space.

Color Tips

Start with a geographic PLACE that you love and base your room off that palette. I fell in love with the gorgeous brilliant colors that peel off the walls of old buildings in the photographs of Cuba. Don't be afraid of wallpaper! For the entryway, I chose a chic patterned damask wallpaper to surround the painted wood doors.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (21)

I'm not a fan of rag painting, but the color scheme is gorgeous. You definitely ran with your theme.

posted by BrianneA on November 1, 2011 at 6:17pm
view BrianneA's profile

Muy bueno!!

posted by millmack on November 1, 2011 at 8:27am
view millmack's profile

I really enjoyed you bold use of colors. Each wall inspires a new feeling/place. Well done...

posted by TAZ15 on November 1, 2011 at 1:55pm
view TAZ15's profile

Que linda!

posted by Rachel C Brooklyn on November 1, 2011 at 3:36pm
view Rachel C Brooklyn's profile

The best. I LOVE that wallpaper in the.. entryway? And I really dig the sort of antiqued-looking yellow next to the crisp wainscotting.

posted by EC_ on November 1, 2011 at 5:29pm
view EC_'s profile

Yay for lotsa color!

posted by Pam Kueber on November 1, 2011 at 9:11pm
view Pam Kueber's profile

Very fun!

posted by Taryn.Frances on November 2, 2011 at 1:32am
view Taryn.Frances's profile

Apartment Therapy! If you're listening, I'd love to see a house tour of this place!

posted by ryttu3k on November 2, 2011 at 8:40am
view ryttu3k's profile

This is beautiful and fun!! Love it! I'd also like to see a house tour, AT.

posted by Lizabethy on November 2, 2011 at 11:30am
view Lizabethy's profile

Love it! Nice work :).

posted by LeeseG on November 2, 2011 at 3:49pm
view LeeseG's profile

Beautiful color choices, I love the wall with 5 colors, that is amazing!

posted by Robin Maroney on November 2, 2011 at 9:34pm
view Robin Maroney's profile

I love this! Especially the first photo that showcases a lot of the colors at once, and how well you've put it all together. The walls are gorgeous--how will you ever put nails in those? I also would love to see a full house tour.

posted by RowRowRow on November 3, 2011 at 11:53am
view RowRowRow's profile

Freaking brilliant!! Full house tour!!

posted by Reeses902 on November 4, 2011 at 1:33pm
view Reeses902's profile

Not only a great use of color - there's a lot of personality coming through to make it extra special. I love it because it's not just another pretty room!

posted by kbfromlb on November 5, 2011 at 12:40pm
view kbfromlb's profile

that orange sofa is to die for :)

posted by redgenghis on November 5, 2011 at 8:59pm
view redgenghis's profile

I Love it! Can you do my apartment?

posted by ArtsyGirl on November 12, 2011 at 5:36am
view ArtsyGirl's profile

That little bench in front of the photo wall... I have that! passed down from my grandmother, and I think the original fabric is still on it! So good to see that another one is still around!

posted by KatyD on November 15, 2011 at 12:51pm
view KatyD's profile

o wow! fabulous!! what is the last photo of?

posted by queenyellowsun on November 16, 2011 at 3:01am
view queenyellowsun's profile

Queenyellowsun; The last photo is a close up of the buttons on the reupholstered rocking chair.

posted by Kristina from One Woman Films on November 27, 2011 at 5:48pm
view Kristina from One Woman Films's profile

Me encanta

posted by Belissa Best on November 28, 2011 at 9:08am
view Belissa Best's profile

I love the picture wall. What color did you use to paint it or is it a mixture of colors?

posted by Borman on January 15, 2012 at 12:47pm
view Borman's profile