Name:

Noa

New York, New York

Division:

East

Colors Used

Orange, teal, gold, blue, brown, white, red

Color Inspiration

The space had great exposed brick walls, hardwood floors, and a lot of natural light - the best type of blank canvas. I wanted something composed but comfortable, chic but lived-in. I used colors that brought the space to life, gave it a sense of fun, and highlighted the existing qualities of the room.

Color Tips

Use colors you love - colors you want to live your life in.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (29)

SororitySheep, I agree. I am getting a little tired of all the Hipstamatic entries. It's OK to show us what the room really looks like, I swear!

posted by Muffy St John on October 27, 2011 at 11:29am
view Muffy St John's profile

your last two photos don't really seem to contribute, but i love the first one.

posted by Lady J on October 27, 2011 at 10:56am
view Lady J's profile

Inventive use of materials. Love the rich colors next to the raw wood and brick. The bed looks cozy, despite the raw materials around it. Nice!

posted by TurtleNYC on October 27, 2011 at 11:00am
view TurtleNYC's profile

I would have liked to actually get a sense of the room rather than just three instagram vignettes.

posted by sororitysheep on October 27, 2011 at 11:04am
view sororitysheep's profile

There's nothing Navajo about this room. It's just some hipster wannabe idea of "Navajo".

posted by fc93 on October 27, 2011 at 11:32am
view fc93's profile

It looks like she was trying to demonstrate the use of color throughout the room (from the throw pilows to the shoes). I assumed the colorway was named by the paint company but I might be mistaken. No worries either way :)

Nice use of pallets!
I like her use of

posted by rjc484 on October 27, 2011 at 11:40am
view rjc484's profile

...seemingly found objects.

posted by rjc484 on October 27, 2011 at 11:41am
view rjc484's profile

I think this is beautiful. Just love the use of colors and textures visible in all the photos. It's obviously a small space, and I think she's doing good things to bring interest to what she has to work with. For instance, in photo 3, the nice rug and the slender bench in the very narrow hallway, and in photo 4, the red and coral beads against the white, with the gold shoes. What's wrong with any of that? If people can use huge stacks of books as decorative objects (clearly not used for reading), what's wrong with using shoes? Anyway, I like it a lot.

posted by bellsonhopi on October 27, 2011 at 11:56am
view bellsonhopi's profile

This is probably not a comment relevant to the contest, but seeing her choices of furniture, rugs, fabric, and how she uses that steel ladder to hang her shoes and jewelry...this house has got plenty of character, and I would love to see a full house tour.

posted by edmarch on October 27, 2011 at 12:37pm
view edmarch's profile

Omoriala, that was where my mind instantly went as well. It's a nice room but wow, could the name be any worse? I don't see Navajo in the description at all so I'm assuming it's not Noa's blunder but AT's or the sponsor's. Whoever messed up needs to fix it.

posted by Victoria W on October 27, 2011 at 12:51pm
view Victoria W's profile

LOVE THE COLORS!!

posted by noticetothepublic on October 27, 2011 at 1:12pm
view noticetothepublic's profile

I have no idea what this room looks like, but I do see colorful pillows, rugs and shoes.

posted by Sylvia K on October 27, 2011 at 1:35pm
view Sylvia K's profile

@ Sylvia K

+1

posted by Cei-face on October 27, 2011 at 3:06pm
view Cei-face's profile

Love the pallet bed! Such a good solution for shoe storage and reusing materials instead of buying an unsustainable headboard.

posted by convexlinz on October 27, 2011 at 3:19pm
view convexlinz's profile

Agreeing with omoriala. AT, please find something more creative/intelligent/thoughtful that tone-deaf appropriation.

posted by Minnasaur on October 27, 2011 at 3:35pm
view Minnasaur's profile

I absolutely LOVE the colors, textures, and innovative use of wooden shipping pallets! Gets my vote. Also, I think everyone needs to ease up on the whole title of the entry issue... "Navajo" is written in quotation marks, indicating that the design was inspired by the Southwestern vibe, colors, etc. not that it's LITERALLY a Navajo tribe apt.. just sayin'

posted by fashionyourseatbelt on October 27, 2011 at 3:52pm
view fashionyourseatbelt's profile

Hi all -

FYI: Noa changed the name of her palette - we've updated it here.

posted by Janel Laban, Executive Editor on October 27, 2011 at 4:33pm
view Janel Laban, Executive Editor's profile

Hi everyone! I hope "Vintage Vibrant" is a more appropriate title and more to your liking. I love the comments and any feedback you guys have!

posted by Noa Santos on October 27, 2011 at 4:43pm
view Noa Santos's profile

I really love her rugs and pillows but I have no sense of what the room actually looks like and I completely agree with the others who don't want to see pictures taken with hipstamatic, it changes the color and look. But I really want to like it, I'm sorry.

posted by sarrazak on October 27, 2011 at 8:22pm
view sarrazak's profile

What a great idea for a bed!!! So practical. I like all the textures, fabrics, wood, brick, colors. Nice job!

posted by MEBJohnson on October 28, 2011 at 12:46pm
view MEBJohnson's profile

Looks great! love the shoe storage

posted by Rae N on October 30, 2011 at 4:58pm
view Rae N's profile

Love the creative use of the pallets as both bed platform & displaying/storing colorful shoes (and books :). Vibrant mosaic of pillow colors & textures really pop against the white of the bed and the brick wall. Also lovin the beads & shoes on the white ladder. Very stylish and casual chic.

posted by Kathryn4 on October 31, 2011 at 4:10am
view Kathryn4's profile

I love the artful pictures and the pops of color. I am really impressed with the bed and the storage created by the stacked palettes.

I always WANT to invent/reappropriate but I'm not quite as creative as you and it doesn't come as naturally to me.

Really like this.

posted by vgclark on November 1, 2011 at 10:11pm
view vgclark's profile

@omoriala, I didn't see that! Good for them. Interesting trademark save that just happened...

I have a question for Noa:
My husband really wants to incorporate shipping pallets in our decor, but I am concerned about bringing in termites or other bugs considering the life of an average pallet.. Have you had any issues with that?

posted by ratskolnikov on November 5, 2011 at 11:03am
view ratskolnikov's profile

@Rahskir: please have your husband reconsider using pallets. I work in the retail industry and have constant contact with pallets and must tell you that they are some of the filthiest things going. Because of the filth they are exposed to (and they are used over and over again without being "washed"), they are pre-treated with chemicals to cut down on bacterial growth, and sometimes pesticides to quell insection infestations. These chemicals leached out during the life of the pallet, and has been blamed for "tainting" foods and medicines with an off-putting odor.

If the chemical thing doesn't seal the deal for you, then consider that a pallet moves everything from raw meat, to auto parts, fertilizers, pet food, etc...and then consider bringing the bacteria that clings to these products into your home.

At any rate, the effect here is nice, and the colour scheme is cozy, warm. As other posters had said, I wish there were more macro shots of the room, but even still, it gets my vote.

posted by k2yhe on November 6, 2011 at 9:45am
view k2yhe's profile

@rahskir and k2yhe: I definitely agree with k2yhe that you must be careful what pallets you use. Using totally recycled pallets may not be such a great option when using them indoors as you can be certain of their source. However, there are vendors that make them new and wrap them in plastic for shipping. Obviously the color of the wood is not going to be of the rustic/used quality that maybe some hope for but at least you can be more certain that they are not contaminated.

Another options is to use apple or wine crates instead. They are smaller and may not be suitable for a bed frame like the photo I posted but they may serve better as shelving or smaller pieces of furniture. Take a look at etsy.com for those types of crates. Hope this helps and thanks for the comments!

posted by Noa Santos on November 7, 2011 at 5:52pm
view Noa Santos's profile

love the taste that these photos give me without the instagram quality of the photos. plus, four of the five shots include shoes--are those supposed to be a part of the color palate?

posted by brooklyn2189 on November 16, 2011 at 7:18am
view brooklyn2189's profile

love the colors but the photos are not giving me much of an idea of what the room looks like. Have to see more.

posted by kassgood on November 20, 2011 at 4:02pm
view kassgood's profile

Oh now this is my favorite! striking, creative and original...wah!

posted by Zsuzzani on January 16, 2012 at 3:21pm
view Zsuzzani's profile