Mark's "Bold Basics" Room

Bold Basics

Name:

Mark

Brooklyn, New York

Division:

East

Colors Used

Benjamin Moore - Old Navy Benjamin Moore - Basil Green Benjamin Moore - First Snowfall

Color Inspiration

Blue and green have always been my favorite colors. Rooms I had seen featured on AT inspired the bold shades.

Color Tips

Whites and creams can be very effective as accent colors. The contrast created by white in simple elements such as picture frames, patterns in cowhide, baseboards, or even a switch plate can help intensify a color.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (34)

I like the navy wall especially, but the artwork steals the show for me!

posted by noticetothepublic on October 27, 2011 at 12:12pm
view noticetothepublic's profile

My favorite room thus far!. (Yes, probably because of the navy wall and the artwork)

posted by Sylvia K on October 29, 2011 at 7:35am
view Sylvia K's profile

I love that navy colour! Gorgeous! I also really like the art work, it fits in well. Where did you get the Independent piece from?

posted by sydoniah on October 27, 2011 at 11:54am
view sydoniah's profile

If anyone is curious, the Independent print is by Damian Hirst & available here: http://www.nowallsgallery.com/artists/damien-hirst/no-news-today/67/0.htm

posted by helloanne on October 27, 2011 at 12:09pm
view helloanne's profile

where is that large "brick" lamp from? awesome colors btw

posted by threeplusyou on October 27, 2011 at 12:20pm
view threeplusyou's profile

I'm liking this for the awesome giant art.

posted by potpie on October 27, 2011 at 12:32pm
view potpie's profile

Thanks AT for selecting my entry. I purchased "The Independent" from Other Criteria. The floor lamp is from http://www.noguchi.org/. I'm a fan of akari light sculptures and the subtle mood they create. I appreciate the compliments.

posted by BillyRes on October 27, 2011 at 1:25pm
view BillyRes's profile

What is the navy colour that you used?

Blue and green are my fav colours as well so I'm very drawn to your rooms. Love the colours you used!

posted by TrixieLich on October 27, 2011 at 1:29pm
view TrixieLich's profile

This is the first room that I've truly loved, especially the navy. I'm not so sure about the green but it seems to work in the room.

posted by BrianneA on October 27, 2011 at 3:27pm
view BrianneA's profile

Your color combo's work so well together. Not being a big green person, I found I loved the color when combined with the navy. Bold, but not over the top. Love it!! I am curious about the white square boxes stacked in the corner...lamp perhaps?? I WANT it!! Your decor is so modern and tasteful with a just so slight edge. Perfection!!

posted by cary2fred on October 27, 2011 at 6:06pm
view cary2fred's profile

By far my favorite! Love the navy, white, brown and red combo. Where is the white coffee table from?

posted by MelanieEve on October 27, 2011 at 10:56pm
view MelanieEve's profile

Finally a strong entry that made me want to see more than the main pic.

posted by see on October 28, 2011 at 12:33am
view see's profile

Not that I'm an expert or anything, far from it, but it feels like there's just almost too much going on. In one respect I nearly said FINALLY! out loud because I love that the TV wasn't a showcase or focal point of the far wall, but merely a player in a collection of items headed up by that wonderful red print. I think the sculptural lamp just looks like a little too much right there. Maybe if the smaller print were hung above the tv and the lamp sort of slid in its place to create a series of 3 with the two prints since they all read the boldest?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, although I love the space and can value a very styled and detailed room, to a point it gets to looking like the editing has just stopped. I mean no offense.

posted by brittneylynn on October 28, 2011 at 2:09pm
view brittneylynn's profile

"The Independent" is too large for where it is hung. It feels forced, out of place. It would look better on the opposite wall, the red would complement the green. And one of the tiger paintings/prints could be moved onto the navy wall, bringing the two walls together. Everything else seems nice, needs a bit of tighter editing though. I would also replace the wire coffee table with something smaller and maybe clear (there is really too much stuff happening) so you could place the ottoman with the Eames lounge chair where it belongs. So far this is the best entry. Great job.

posted by Graphist on October 29, 2011 at 3:20am
view Graphist's profile

Not a big blue fan...even if it is navy. But anybody posting their place deserves kudos!

posted by bfergie13 on October 29, 2011 at 8:44pm
view bfergie13's profile

I love that Mark was able to create a very masculine room, while still creating a warm and inviting space by using a variety of different textures. Nice work!

~Gwen
www.chloeswindow.etsy.com

posted by Gwen from ChloesWindow on October 30, 2011 at 12:20pm
view Gwen from ChloesWindow's profile

I really, really love this room (even if I am not a green person myself). I want to see the rest of the house, please!

posted by C.G._ on October 31, 2011 at 1:15pm
view C.G._'s profile

i'm really loving everything about this room except the green wall. I think a mustard yellow would be better, but the green could grow on me

posted by lorrinm on October 31, 2011 at 2:37pm
view lorrinm's profile

Love this! The artwork fits in so well!

posted by Germaine @spasesblog on October 31, 2011 at 3:31pm
view Germaine @spasesblog's profile

Can someone tell me where I can get the dog on the picture? I believe this is a very expensive/hard to find Jeff Koon Puppy vase maybe? is there something like this on the market?

posted by cgillespie on November 1, 2011 at 11:09am
view cgillespie's profile

I love this space and colour scheme and I think the Damien Hirst fits perfectly. I want one!

posted by Dervla on November 2, 2011 at 8:59pm
view Dervla's profile

Oh Mark... Is it possible to fall in love with someone just based on his décor? ::sigh::

posted by joseph23 on November 3, 2011 at 3:07pm
view joseph23's profile

I love how the TV disappears against the Navy Blue wall, hidden in plain sight!

posted by PopcornGal on November 3, 2011 at 10:57pm
view PopcornGal's profile

Lovely, very sophisticated room. Is that a marble wall where the floating shelves are installed?

posted by jillya on November 4, 2011 at 12:19pm
view jillya's profile

I don't see the other entrants responding so I don't know if it is appropriate to respond. Oh well.

cary2fred: I've been described as low-key, understated, and simple with a wink. And so, your descriptions "but not over the top" and "slight edge" resonated with me. The object in the corner (stacked boxes) is in fact an akari light fixture.

MelanieAch: The coffee table is from Knoll.  It also functions as a bench and is very kid friendly (8 nieces and nephews)

brittanylynn and Graphist:  There is a method to my madness. I attempted to create balance with the three prints on the navy blue wall which extends into the open kitchen. There is another print that is similar in size to the one by the paper lamp.  And so, when you look across the full length of the blue wall (living room and kitchen), The Independent does not appear to be to so random and large.  Also, the first photo exaggerates the size of The Independent as I stood on a stool to snap the photo.  At eye level, you may find there is more balance.  No doubt though, the print is a large piece.

The room is intentionally positioned "looking away" from the green wall.  It would have been too overwhelming to see the green upon entry and as a backdrop to my television.  I wanted The Independent to be the focal point when you walk into the room.  And because the green wall is too harsh on its own, I created a single clean line across the center of the wall with the prints to break it up.  Finally, I'm thinking about putting a credenza against the green wall or behind the sofa which would cover The Independent.

I lived in a much larger apartment before moving to Brooklyn where the coffee table and Eames ottoman co-existed right next to each other for several years.  During that time frame, I rarely used the ottoman as a footrest.  When I moved to this smaller unit, it didn't bother me to re-position the ottoman behind the sofa for extra seating.  Plus, I just couldn't part with that coffee table.    However, I do have three perfect replacements waiting should the funds miraculously become available.  

lorrinm: In the last photo, I have some dried flowers and a Rauschenberg print with hints of yellow.  Mustard is actually a color I considered to compliment some of my artwork.

cgillespie:  Yes, that is a Jeff Koons Puppy Vase (or as my brother calls it - an umbrella holder).  A search online will reveal a number of galleries and auctions featuring the sculpture.

joseph23:  Only if the room truly reflects the owner.  Sure.

jillya:  Not a solid marble wall.  Marble tiles on the facade.

Thanks again for all the positive comments.

posted by BillyRes on November 5, 2011 at 9:45am
view BillyRes's profile

is this one brooklyn bridge park?? love the blue, green, white combo. classic, preppy, modern.

posted by jmsnyc on November 5, 2011 at 1:02pm
view jmsnyc's profile

OMG...Its beautiful....never before have I seen navy blue and bright green exist in as much harmony...Great space.
Love that the artwork is huge...anything smaller would have been lost imho.

I love the Tiger prints...source?

posted by sushla on November 5, 2011 at 1:12pm
view sushla's profile

such an inspiration for my new house!

posted by Aldeir on November 7, 2011 at 2:36pm
view Aldeir's profile

I absolutely love the space. The dark navy color on the wals actually makes the are seem larger...I think your whole space is beautiful and unique.

posted by Tania @ chiquiita.blogspot.com on November 12, 2011 at 4:42am
view Tania @ chiquiita.blogspot.com's profile

That is absolutely my favourite Hirst piece - I recently bought a print of it for my own place. Interesting to see how great it looks somewhere with a completely different colour palatte to mine. Lovely.

posted by ElleOh on November 13, 2011 at 12:21am
view ElleOh's profile

This is my favorite entry...the colors are different, the place is elegant and very unique. Good taste and good color combination!

posted by Tania @ chiquiita.blogspot.com on November 13, 2011 at 11:10am
view Tania @ chiquiita.blogspot.com's profile

I've been wanting to paint a wall navy blue for a long time and have been discouraged by friends, but this is giving me the courage to do it. YAY! NAVY BLUE. One accent wall. It's gorgeous. Well done!

posted by Wildsong on November 13, 2011 at 10:03pm
view Wildsong's profile

It might be a bit pre-mature to throw in the towel - it was fun while it lasted.

posted by BillyRes on November 16, 2011 at 6:18am
view BillyRes's profile

Good bold choices for the art and wall colors.

posted by seanvik on April 26, 2012 at 7:35pm
view seanvik's profile