Bryony's "Bright Gray Day" Room

Bright Gray Day

Name:

Bryony

Brooklyn, New York

Division:

East

Colors Used

Grey-blue, orange, sky blue, aluminum, various woods.

Color Inspiration

We wanted a serene overall color scheme to promote rest, and where our art and textiles would be happy together (and would be happy with the crappy stained wood trim in our rental). The blue-grey on the walls was picked right out of the photograph over the headboard, and I convinced my husband to let me paint the antique mirror blue to pick up blues in the art.

Color Tips

If there's a feature you don't like in your space that you can't change (like the aforementioned crappy stained wood trim and doors, or an aluminum radiator), find colors that work with it instead of trying to ignore it.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (14)

Nice!

posted by bellsonhopi on October 28, 2011 at 6:31pm
view bellsonhopi's profile

thank you for sharing! it is comparable to what i used on my walls, a paint color entitled "morning fog"-a color a little more subtle in its blues and grays than that shown. my wall color serves as a white paint in some ways, complementing most other colors, but with an added twist (my secondary colors are white, a shiny brass, inter alia). such color (at least mine) is a cold purplish gray in the shadows but a brighter blue in sunshine. my inspiration for this color comprises serene walks on the beach early in the morning, before the sun dominates the sky, and when the air is crisp against the skin, with residual sensations with the night before.

posted by meso on October 28, 2011 at 7:06pm
view meso's profile

You must be very easily disturbed! The blankets look relaxed and layered to me. It looks like the first one has a white section (rather than being two blankets) and there is another one underneath. Not sure why the top one does go all the way to the bottom, but not a big deal, IMO.

posted by bellsonhopi on October 28, 2011 at 8:05pm

Hi, thanks for these comments. As for the blankets, there are actually 2 bedspreads, neither of which are big enough to cover the whole bed, and I like them together. And yes, the top one is a quilt and may look like multiple oddly-arranged blankets.

posted by Tyrza on October 28, 2011 at 9:44pm
view Tyrza's profile

The cool clean light gray background with lively prints in the foreground appeals to me. And the assortment of wood woven in adds a grounding element. Gives me the feeling of wandering through the woods on a chilly, gray day and finding a weavers hut for refuge!

posted by blackkate on October 29, 2011 at 2:55am
view blackkate's profile

"Truly disturbing," CG? If that's what disturbs you, I'd be interested to know how you feel about the current economic crisis or the subject of human trafficking. Though I'm personally not a fan of the green bedding, I can appreciate the open airiness that's been achieved with the light blue walls. I'd love to see one more pop of color...perhaps yellow?

posted by PetitChouette on October 29, 2011 at 4:09pm
view PetitChouette's profile

blackkate took the words out of my head..; ) and I didn't know they were there yet..but she did! great feel about your place!..and we all have our quirky quirks of aesthetics..(sp??)..that's okay..it adds to the overall feeling there.

posted by keeks on October 29, 2011 at 9:41pm
view keeks's profile

I think this is lovely!

posted by Kathryn E on October 30, 2011 at 12:56am
view Kathryn E's profile

I don't care if it's disturbing or not... it looks like a child was just jumping on the bed - if you don't have kids you don't have a clue about what I just said... try to take photo of a "oerfect" room while your child is busy destroying it... anyway, I love the room, but I don't know what this room has to do with a color challenge. The entire point of this contest is demonstrating what color can do and what bold choices can actually work and I see nothing bold here. I see safe choices with no risk - and color is all about risk.

posted by theQ2000 on October 30, 2011 at 10:13pm
view theQ2000's profile

It's beautiful.I love grays and soft blues,along with the wood tones,they're so soothing.I do agree that another pop of color or 2 would be nice.But this was my favorite out of the choices because I love these colors,even if they're not that "colorful".

posted by Dawn W on October 31, 2011 at 7:24pm
view Dawn W's profile

I just want to say to Bryony that I keep coming back to this room and think it is really lovely and is indeed playing with color in subtle but interesting ways. The rooms with bolder color may get more attention in this contest, and I understand why that would be, but I admire your color sense and wouldn't change a thing about this room. Personally, I'd rather actually LIVE here than a lot of the other places with more dramatic choices.

posted by bellsonhopi on November 5, 2011 at 1:32pm

I wanted to comment on the nice display of art, objects, and the blue mirror -- I love them all . / but I got sidetracked by the bedding issue ...

posted by kassgood on November 10, 2011 at 8:05pm
view kassgood's profile

Lovely room, very nicely done. I often layer blankets like that, so I didn't think anything was "strange" about it at all. Why not use the perfectly good bedding you have rather than spending? I love rooms that have second hand furnishings, creativity and character. They feel right. This one just feels right. Adding to faves.

posted by kassgood on November 10, 2011 at 8:00pm
view kassgood's profile

I agree that this room is very livable looking, with good color choices.

posted by kassgood on November 10, 2011 at 8:03pm
view kassgood's profile