Jamie's "Darwinian Adventure" Room

Darwinian Adventure

Name:

Jamie

San Francisco, California

Division:

West

Colors Used

elephant gray, natural wood color/bronze, plant green, red, some black & white and a dash of canary yellow.

Color Inspiration

The beautiful neutral wall color, which I call elephant gray, was painted when I moved in. It is such a fantastic base to work with. Keeping the foundation neutral {going for Maxwell's 80/20 rule of thumb}, I used an abundance of warm, natural wood and linen. For my color accents, I drew inspiration from the bold colors in the stained glass panels. The stained glass set the color palette for the large portrait I painted of my beau and I, as well as inspired vibrant green plant life, colorful birds, and gorgeous flower arrangements. The dinning room is essentially a simple/neutral backdrop to the most important accent of all - The colorful meals that are made with love and shared at the table {aw}.

Color Tips

As a very visual person, I find myself truly impacted by my surroundings. Colors can make or break an environment and my best tip would be to take time to interact with colors and investigate how they make you feel. Sometimes we see color combos that we love, but that doesn't mean it compliments our lifestyle.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (36)

This is one of my faves. I'm surprised it didn't get more votes!

posted by LittleMissSunshine on November 20, 2011 at 6:59am
view LittleMissSunshine's profile

LOVE this room. My old house used to be in a similar style and I'm super jealous. What neighborhood are you in?

posted by Mama Gigi on November 2, 2011 at 9:25am
view Mama Gigi's profile

I'm super excited to be joining the contest today and happy that you love my room, Mama Gigi! I'm in Pacific Heights area.

posted by MissBojambo on November 2, 2011 at 10:50am
view MissBojambo's profile

Nice room! I love absolutely everything in it, though I might have chosen a different wall color (this may be because I am grayed out after seeing so many gray rooms on AT).

posted by e53 on November 2, 2011 at 1:21pm
view e53's profile

I've never written this before, but... house tour, please!

posted by MelissaDC on November 2, 2011 at 12:42pm
view MelissaDC's profile

LOVE it!! Love what you did with the silhouette pictures.

posted by HouseOnClintonAve on November 2, 2011 at 12:43pm
view HouseOnClintonAve's profile

I think this is my favorite room so far. And I agree with Melissa, HOUSE TOUR.

posted by Muffy St John on November 2, 2011 at 12:48pm
view Muffy St John's profile

Oh my. Gorgeous, original, personal.

posted by Juliet___ on November 2, 2011 at 1:02pm
view Juliet___'s profile

Wow. Amazing. Looks so rustic. I would probably prefer the gray just a tad lighter, but it looks stunning.

posted by rosaleen on November 2, 2011 at 1:15pm
view rosaleen's profile

This is an amazing room. I hope the cats don't go for the bird on the lamp!

posted by gotard on November 2, 2011 at 1:32pm
view gotard's profile

Thank you for sharing, my friends!

Until relocated to their lamp roost, my birds were constantly being attacked my my black kitty (not pictured), gotard. They all have tiny little teeth punctures :)

Will be sure to outfit you in colorful galoshes and equip you with a bright umbrella should you ever come for dinner, joseph23 :)

posted by MissBojambo on November 2, 2011 at 1:52pm

Haha. Right on, Miss B! :)

posted by joseph23 on November 2, 2011 at 2:48pm
view joseph23's profile

Great room! But... ack! The cat on the table! lol I'm constantly giving mine heck for being up there. Anyway, you've got my vote.

posted by Cashew on November 2, 2011 at 5:35pm
view Cashew's profile

I love this! A lot of people on AT gravitate to gray because it's a wonderful neutral that makes other colors pop. I adore your choice of artwork and the little birds (I have similar ones!) too. Great job!

posted by AnnaMaria Stephens on November 2, 2011 at 6:01pm
view AnnaMaria Stephens's profile

I love the giraffes!

posted by SimoneTheBlack on November 2, 2011 at 7:33pm
view SimoneTheBlack's profile

HouseOnClintonAve, I painted the silhouettes of myself, my beau and 8 people {from any point in history} that we would like to invite to one fabulous dinner party. It's fun to have our dinner guests guess who the portraits are of!

Cashew, cats on the table is a battle I lost long ago - Thank goodness for tablecloths :)

posted by MissBojambo on November 2, 2011 at 7:38pm

Love the combination of wood, dark gray, and the bright colors in the large picture. Very striking.

posted by RowRowRow on November 3, 2011 at 11:48am
view RowRowRow's profile

Love the coffered ceiling and the contrast with the white trim.

posted by Indigosailor on November 3, 2011 at 3:36pm
view Indigosailor's profile

Thank you all for your votes and comments!

Thorndale, The wooden floors, which are not documented well in the photographs, are a very dark espresso brown. We selected lighter wood furniture, with the intention of the pieces standing out against the dark floor. I am happy with what we have, but I like your idea of richer wood too :)

posted by MissBojambo on November 3, 2011 at 6:53pm

i feel like a ghost when i see this ..and the litlle bird!!! laissez-moi rire!

posted by emiliep9 on November 3, 2011 at 10:59pm
view emiliep9's profile

OMG ! Why hasn't anyone asked about that picture? Who painted it? It is absolutely fabulous!

posted by jasminesummer on November 3, 2011 at 11:49pm
view jasminesummer's profile

Thank you, jasminesummer! I painted the 4' x 5' portrait of my beau and I especially for that space, as well as all of the silhouettes. I heart Frieda Kahlo and the painting is my nod to her painting of herself and Diego Rivera which she also painted in San Fran. I'm a dork, I mean artist.

posted by MissBojambo on November 4, 2011 at 1:50am

There isn't a single thing I don't LOVE about this room. I would vote for it in pretty much any contest AT could think of. :)

posted by Reeses902 on November 4, 2011 at 1:25pm
view Reeses902's profile

Pretty, but I'm favoriting it mostly because I love that you don't mind showing the world that you let your cat walk on the table. I'm still in the closet about that :)

posted by tonia329 on November 4, 2011 at 6:15pm
view tonia329's profile

So thoughtful of you to say, Reeses902 :)

Baaaha, tonia329. I have three cats, but... they. own. me. Turns out whatever I thought to be mine, is actually theirs... including that table :)

posted by MissBojambo on November 4, 2011 at 8:38pm

Love the room! personally not a fan of the silhouettes. But has a great feel to it. You got my vote.

posted by Sacha on November 5, 2011 at 2:57am
view Sacha's profile

Love your color combination and your sense of humor. Well done!

posted by judyhrob on November 7, 2011 at 2:10pm
view judyhrob's profile

I signed in just to vote for your room.
So far lots of rooms have been nice, but this is my favorite by far!

posted by NiceSpydr on November 7, 2011 at 7:53pm
view NiceSpydr's profile

@judyhrob Why thank you, my friend!

@NiceSpydr Leapin' lizards, that is a big deal! Thank you.

posted by MissBojambo on November 9, 2011 at 1:27am

serene, yet quirky, I like that;)

posted by andreainmaine on November 9, 2011 at 1:22pm
view andreainmaine's profile

Nice balance. Very serene, but so interesting. Like the idea behind the dinner plates. You must have interesting dinner parties!

posted by kbfromlb on November 13, 2011 at 11:28am
view kbfromlb's profile

ok. I love the painting you made of you and your luv luv! that is sooooo flippin sweet!!!! I hate gray- but i love the room!!

posted by JodieAnn on November 13, 2011 at 11:34pm
view JodieAnn's profile

love the color choice and the painting works so well! :) Also love the details on your walls! (moulding)... :)

posted by mahzer&vee on November 17, 2011 at 2:47pm
view mahzer&vee's profile

I know the contest is about color but it is your scale that I think is so right on. And I love the repeating silhouettes.

posted by carrol on November 17, 2011 at 7:33pm
view carrol's profile

I'm surprised this didn't get more votes also. This was in my top 3 (not including mine); along with Sara's Smoke, Citron & Cream and Bernrds Red Eclectic Room. I love the molding, the juxtaposition of the fabulously elegant chandelier with the rustic wood table & furniture, and the bold use of grey.

posted by britabroad on November 21, 2011 at 1:07pm
view britabroad's profile

Thank you to everyone for the votes and comments! I too thought I'd go further, but I guess it wasn't in the cards :) i'm happy that we all got to see some really great and innovative rooms!

posted by MissBojambo on November 21, 2011 at 9:07pm