Jessica's "Baby Seal Black" Bedroom

Baby Seal Black

Name:

Jessica

New York, New York

Division:

East

Colors Used

The paint is Baby Seal Black (a lovely, dark slate grey with just a hint of navy), custom-mixed with a dose of white to lighten it up enough for our teeny tiny bedroom. Although I'd originally been lusting after a luxurious chalky finish, I couldn't find one for this color and went with a moderate sheen (satin) instead--I like that it bounces a little light around and has proven to be really durable. This room has a beautiful 100-year-old window with classic white trim, and I loved the contrast with the dark paint, so I carried it throughout the room. Other accents are canary yellow/chartreuse, a light robbin's egg blue (seen in the art on the wall, with a darker shade on the vintage telephone), and an almost-lavender pink (in the Bonnaroo art).

Color Inspiration

This is our first one-bedroom apartment--the last one was an even teenier and tinier studio (we're in New York City, Land of Impossibly Cramped Spaces). Moving out (and up!) was a huge moment, and we really wanted to celebrate the distinct separation of our new rooms. Going neutral with the living room made me feel like I could be a little bolder with the bedroom, and I've always thought dark paint was sexy and glam—this black-grey-blue was sophisticated and a little bit daring, while still soothing. I didn't want the space to feel too serious, though, so I brought in some bright, summery, slightly retro colors to make the overall effect just a little bit funky.

Color Tips

Don't think about the colors you like in your every day life--wall color and "your favorite color" are two very different things with two very different functions. (I had to learn the hard way that "that light blue color I love!" doesn't look quite as good on a huge scale as it does on a small one.) Think instead about the *rooms* you've felt best in. At restaurants, parties, museums, friend's houses. You'll have a much better sense of what you're getting into--and you'll know you feel great once you get there :)

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (17)

Wow, this room is gorgeous! Would love to get decorating tips from you ;)

posted by alisonmg on October 24, 2011 at 2:46pm
view alisonmg's profile

please tell where you got the fabric on that little chair!

posted by doublealmond on October 24, 2011 at 1:53pm
view doublealmond's profile

Very nice. I have dark grey in my bedroom as well and I LOVE IT! It looks great with everything.

posted by ashk on October 24, 2011 at 12:24pm
view ashk's profile

what paint color is this- this is the exact color I have been looking for?

posted by SundayAtTheDisco25 on October 24, 2011 at 1:56pm
view SundayAtTheDisco25's profile

I love it! Who would have thought that such a dark color in a small room would look so good. It actually makes the room appear larger. Very warm and cozy. Kudos for choosing it! Great taste!

posted by Vickie Ata on October 24, 2011 at 3:14pm
view Vickie Ata's profile

Love IT!!!

posted by Greg139 on October 24, 2011 at 3:17pm
view Greg139's profile

Gorgeous. Love the phone.

posted by GeorgeRobert on October 24, 2011 at 3:34pm
view GeorgeRobert's profile

I would have been too scared to paint a room this color. But in your case, it payed off !!

posted by noticetothepublic on October 25, 2011 at 12:25am
view noticetothepublic's profile

very chic!

posted by steven taylor on October 26, 2011 at 3:24pm
view steven taylor's profile

I like the black walls and the poster and the great phone. You could do something betterwith the headboard.

posted by House Voyeur on October 26, 2011 at 11:58pm
view House Voyeur's profile

Dead sexy. And great advice about thinking about rooms you've felt best in!

posted by potpie on October 27, 2011 at 6:37pm
view potpie's profile

That's a great-looking chair.

posted by MEBJohnson on October 28, 2011 at 12:40pm
view MEBJohnson's profile

sweet

posted by Sylvia K on October 28, 2011 at 5:29pm
view Sylvia K's profile

Oh wow. I wish I had seen these pics before painting my new place. I would have used that wall colour!

posted by JasmineIsDomestic on November 12, 2011 at 8:06pm
view JasmineIsDomestic's profile

This is so lovely and serene. well done.

posted by kassgood on November 15, 2011 at 9:24am
view kassgood's profile

Way to take a risk! Nicely done.

posted by jednakasia on November 16, 2011 at 3:13pm
view jednakasia's profile

I love this room. Very nicely done. Simple, clean and not overdone. Excellent job!

posted by GeorgiaMete on November 22, 2011 at 11:03am
view GeorgiaMete's profile