Name:

Gigi

San Francisco, California

Division:

West

Colors Used

Admiral Blue from Benjamin Moore Natural Wood Pure White

Color Inspiration

This was the first room we decorated when we moved into our new house 6 months ago. Our old place was Edwardian and our dark neutral furniture worked well there, but our new place was built in 1948 and needed very different decor. We found a great mid-century dining table (at the salvation army for $180) that seemed like it would be a perfect fit. We painted the walls blue, the table white, and I designed the curtains on Spoonflower. The rest of it has been pieced together from there. We like to pick pieces slowly and individually and the rough wood, white, and blue are working for us. Eventually I'd like some other color (green plants, yellow, or maybe orange accents), but for now I haven't found the right pieces. The blue changes color depending on the amount of light in the room. The white makes the dark blue work during the day, but it is particularly groovy during dinner parties with the chandelier glowing and candles lit.

Color Tips

I have no idea. I like what I like and usually just go for it (without bringing swatches home or anything). I go to the store and buy a gallon crossing my fingers it will work! This usually works out for me. Its just paint, so if you don't like it, you can always paint over it! My house is in constant flux - I'll try something for a few days and if it doesn't work, I'll try something else.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (24)

This is the best!

posted by Jim Jenkins on October 31, 2011 at 12:02pm
view Jim Jenkins's profile

This is the best!

posted by Jim Jenkins on October 31, 2011 at 12:03pm
view Jim Jenkins's profile

Beautiful.

posted by little one on October 31, 2011 at 1:01pm
view little one's profile

Love, Love, Love!

posted by potpie on October 31, 2011 at 1:14pm
view potpie's profile

I like this. But is it just me, o does that chandelier look like it is made out of nuvarings?

posted by gweeno101 on October 31, 2011 at 2:22pm
view gweeno101's profile

Wow! Um, nuvarings? I've never seen them before, but just googled it - I guess it does :)

Our chandelier now has a new nickname!

posted by Mama Gigi on October 31, 2011 at 2:28pm
view Mama Gigi's profile

I like the chairs. Where are they from?

posted by Teannie on October 31, 2011 at 2:32pm
view Teannie's profile

@teannie, the whole dining set is from the Salvation Army store in San Francisco. The label says broyhill furniture factory from Sears, so maybe some craigslist searching can find you some!

posted by Mama Gigi on October 31, 2011 at 2:40pm
view Mama Gigi's profile

Love this, and also love your colour tips, made me laugh out loud

posted by TeaTowelDame from TheDasherie.com on October 31, 2011 at 3:03pm
view TeaTowelDame from TheDasherie.com's profile

I remember this room from somewhere (was it an Apartment Therapy house tour or a before and after?). It's smashing--great job!

posted by bellsonhopi on October 31, 2011 at 3:29pm
view bellsonhopi's profile

Great job! I'm into a blue kick as of late and I'm gathering inspiration for the guest room. I'll add this to my ideabook :)

posted by MartieMartie on October 31, 2011 at 6:04pm
view MartieMartie's profile

I love the cobalt. The only thing I would add is that the pears on the table are making me crave a few more lime green accents. It makes a great second color against the blue and the warm wood.

posted by overture on October 31, 2011 at 6:11pm
view overture's profile

Very crisp combination.

posted by junklover on November 1, 2011 at 12:56am
view junklover's profile

Thanks for the advice @hollywoodgin and @janet! Our house is in constant flux. The walls aren't in their final stages yet, but I haven't found something better yet, so the mirrors stay until we do. @overture - I had the same reaction! More color is going to find its way into this room :)

posted by Mama Gigi on November 1, 2011 at 11:25am
view Mama Gigi's profile

Very nice colors-I may have to steal them!!

posted by Idoc on November 1, 2011 at 2:33pm
view Idoc's profile

Wow, those colors rock. It's very "Secrets from a Stylist"

posted by BrianneA on November 1, 2011 at 6:22pm
view BrianneA's profile

Hi, where did you get the "nuvaring" chandelier? Your room is spectacular!!

posted by DIYGurl on November 3, 2011 at 12:44pm
view DIYGurl's profile

Wow. This is my living room in dining room format except I used Sailor Blue. I love this.

posted by ekathrein on November 3, 2011 at 1:22pm
view ekathrein's profile

@DIYGURL: the chandlier is from West Elm. I have the same one. :-) Never thought of it as the nuvaring chandelier before!

posted by Julie Koska-Hittle on November 4, 2011 at 2:10pm
view Julie Koska-Hittle's profile

i can't stand how much i love this room. everything is perfect. of course, i am a huge sucker for saturated blue and crisp white. ohhh so classic.

posted by jobiala on November 11, 2011 at 2:15pm
view jobiala's profile

Thanks for all the nice comments!

posted by Mama Gigi on November 11, 2011 at 6:13pm
view Mama Gigi's profile

The chairs with the blue wall color is super.

posted by mahzer&vee on November 14, 2011 at 5:00pm
view mahzer&vee's profile

Such a nice vibe.

posted by sffilaki on November 17, 2011 at 2:43pm
view sffilaki's profile

Stunning! XX Mala

posted by Pam 2ETN.com on November 17, 2011 at 4:42pm
view Pam 2ETN.com's profile