Name:

Cathy

Portland, Oregon

Division:

West

Colors Used

citrusy chartreuse warm neutrals turquoise black & white

Color Inspiration

Gray Portland skies and indirect sunlight make me crave bright, bold color in our living room. Plus, our fawn-furred pug (Charlotte, pictured on bath mat) sheds tremendously, so I'm sticking with neutral textiles and looking for other ways to incorporate the bright colors that I love into our home.

Color Tips

Small amounts of paint can go a long way! I've always been concerned about painting in rentals for fear of losing my security deposit or having to repaint before moving out. Now that we plan to stay put for a few years, I've decided a little bit color is worth it for me. I've painted two walls in the living room, the backsplash in the kitchen, and the outside of the bathtub - and it's a huge improvement over all white everything.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (39)

Love it!

posted by Honore on October 27, 2011 at 8:55am
view Honore's profile

Can you please share the green and blue paint colors & brands? This is why I wish this contest would let you do more than one room, I want to see the kitchen too! I love that shade of green and the blue tub looks awesome! Ang goes really well with the green.

posted by HeyNowTex on October 27, 2011 at 9:14am
view HeyNowTex's profile

Beautiful and vibrant. I love the painting above the couch. Where did you get it?

posted by littlerazz on October 27, 2011 at 10:21am
view littlerazz's profile

I'm 99% sure the art is a Marimekko textile stretched (from CB2 or from a site that sells Marimekko). Beautiful space!

posted by SQ on October 27, 2011 at 2:18pm
view SQ's profile

I also love the art above the couch and am wondering where it is from. AND it looks like it matches the green on the wall perfectly. Sharp!

posted by noticetothepublic on October 27, 2011 at 1:21pm
view noticetothepublic's profile

I love it! I feel relaxed and refreshed at the same time.

posted by Baltimore design-junkie on October 27, 2011 at 1:27pm
view Baltimore design-junkie's profile

Oh, that coffee table! Where is it from?

posted by helloanne on October 27, 2011 at 1:56pm
view helloanne's profile

I so agree. I live in Portland too and I would love to paint my walls navy blue but it just would not work in the nearly constant gloom. That or one would need very powerful antidepressant drugs. So yeah, bright colors are really satisfying. I kind of want to do a nice pink.

posted by Big Hair on October 27, 2011 at 2:35pm
view Big Hair's profile

That's the marimekko kaiku print. Crate & Barrel now has a marimekko shop, containing numerous items using this print. I framed one of the tea towels, but they may also have a shower curtain or something to get this size. There are also retailers online that sell this fabric in a large repeat, which may be what she used. It comes in a few different colorways (blue, white, pink). I love it!

posted by hyzen on October 27, 2011 at 3:05pm
view hyzen's profile

My mother has that coffee table -- as the original owner. She must have purchased it in about 1958 from a Scandinavian design-type store. Of all of her furniture -- and it's a big house -- that is the only piece I really covet. Unfortunately, though, she had it refinished a few decades ago in a shiny, impenetrable finish, so it has lost that lovely oiled wood finish. But still, covet. The side by the sofa is open, so you can put stuff in there, and the side that is out in this photo has a hinge and you can lift it up and store stuff inside. Covet.

posted by soozzie on October 27, 2011 at 3:22pm
view soozzie's profile

That's the Drexel Declaration Coffee Table. I have the same one, and I got it from craigslist in SF for under $600 (a steal!) from an estate sale. Best coffee table ever! http://www.google.com/imgres?q=drexel+coffee+table+heritage&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1421&bih=929&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=piNvI8lIQ1dCHM:&imgrefurl=http://svpply.com/item/520892/Drexel_Heritage_Furniture_Industries&docid=vGoa2L6soBe5CM&imgurl=http://assets.svpply.com.s3.amazonaws.com/small/520892.jpg&w=195&h=83&ei=CLSpTq_NGKnPiAKa2K3yCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=791&vpy=653&dur=63&hovh=66&hovw=156&tx=43&ty=25&sig=100592462978023889253&page=1&tbnh=66&tbnw=156&start=0&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:0

posted by lis2244 on October 27, 2011 at 3:43pm
view lis2244's profile

beautiful color combination...crisp and clean and personality!

posted by keeks on October 27, 2011 at 5:51pm
view keeks's profile

Very pretty. Love the color palette.

posted by Gina S on October 27, 2011 at 7:09pm
view Gina S's profile

I really like this room...it's just so fresh, minimalist and and trendy. Nice.

posted by cary2fred on October 27, 2011 at 7:11pm
view cary2fred's profile

That Marimekko print is my desktop background! I love this entry!

posted by MellowModernMegan on October 27, 2011 at 7:14pm
view MellowModernMegan's profile

I'm pretty sure I just moved out of your building! SDR?

posted by AnnaPDX on October 28, 2011 at 12:39am
view AnnaPDX's profile

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like our home!

Yes, the art above the couch is Marimekko (Kaiku print) fabric that I stretched on a wooden frame. I purchased the fabric repeat online at finnstyle.com.

I found the coffee table at a vintage furniture store here in Portland, and I agree that it's the best ever. So much storage! Thanks for telling me more about it; I knew it was Drexel, but that's about it.

The paint color in the living room is Benjamin Moore Limelight (beware: it is BRIGHT!), and the tub is BM Hazy Blue.

And, yes, AnnaPDX: SDR! Did I just compliment you on your dining table and chairs as you were moving?

posted by jednakasia on October 28, 2011 at 1:05am
view jednakasia's profile

Beautiful!

posted by The Treehouse by Dodie Goldney on October 28, 2011 at 1:09am
view The Treehouse by Dodie Goldney's profile

Please share the name and brand of that green, that would be perfect for my family of 6.....you have no choice but to be in great moods in that room.

posted by dmv lady on October 28, 2011 at 9:42am
view dmv lady's profile

Yes I think you did! I was selling the table and chairs to a guy from craigslist. Tragically my new place is too small for them. Your apartment is identical in layout to my old place (#23); it's strange and awesome to see your version!

posted by AnnaPDX on October 28, 2011 at 11:58am
view AnnaPDX's profile

Also, I have the same sofa as you (but in a different color), and I had it in the same place you have yours, ha.

posted by AnnaPDX on October 28, 2011 at 11:59am
view AnnaPDX's profile

magnicifent space - were the built-ins there or did you do them - they add to the charm for sure - inspiring to say the least !!!

posted by VLS on October 28, 2011 at 1:00pm
view VLS's profile

Beautiful room! I want to see the rest of your home!

posted by NL from WI on October 28, 2011 at 1:50pm
view NL from WI's profile

Great job with the Marimekko wall hanging, Cathy and thanks for the mention!

posted by FinnStyle on October 28, 2011 at 3:50pm
view FinnStyle's profile

Ooooh, I love the couch! Do you mind telling me where you got it? I've recently started searching for a gray or black couch to replace my boyfriend's old, left-behind-by-a-roommate futon-y thing.

posted by SabrinaTheDestroyer on October 28, 2011 at 5:03pm
view SabrinaTheDestroyer's profile

Hello, and thanks again for all the nice comments!

The built-in shelving was there; this is a rented apartment, so we haven't made any structural modifications.

The couch is from Ikea; it's called Karlstad. I replaced the legs, because I didn't like the original ones.

Again, the paint is Benjamin Moore Limelight, but I warn you: it is very, very bright!

posted by jednakasia on October 29, 2011 at 5:57pm
view jednakasia's profile

what a handsome living room! and a handsome doggy, too!

posted by mel loves naps on October 29, 2011 at 8:54pm
view mel loves naps's profile

I recognized the Karlstad couch before I read the comments. :) I'm planning to buy the loveseat version next weekend, in the same gray.
Gorgeous room, definitely has my vote!

posted by Cate G on November 3, 2011 at 3:19pm
view Cate G's profile

Gorgeous room! It's so cheery. :)

posted by erin @ dfmi designs on November 3, 2011 at 6:52pm
view erin @ dfmi designs's profile

Absolutely LOVE your color choices. You have my vote! Coming from Southern California and now residing in Boise I understand the gloom part (winter time here). I think I found my perfect colors for my place through you.

posted by Cathleen LeVeque on November 4, 2011 at 6:34am
view Cathleen LeVeque's profile

Whoever says "keep the walls neutral and use accents of colour in the soft furnishing" needs to look at this place to see how the opposite can work so beautifully. The timbers look so rich and warm against this gorgeous colour and the grey sofa so soft and soothing! Just lovely.

posted by Mister B on November 6, 2011 at 12:45am
view Mister B's profile

clean and cozy. the color choices are magnificent.

posted by Shopgirl124 on November 7, 2011 at 11:06am
view Shopgirl124's profile

I didn't check back until now, but thanks for responding with the couch info!

posted by SabrinaTheDestroyer on November 13, 2011 at 11:10pm
view SabrinaTheDestroyer's profile

This home has great architectural fixtures and the white and yellow against each other create a good contrast. However, this is a contest about color and I would have like a little bit more of it.

posted by loveap on November 14, 2011 at 11:08pm
view loveap's profile

Nice space but shame about the color choice. If the acid tones of the yellow/green (marker pen) could be turned down I think this would be a real winner, plus your location is great.

posted by ebb&flow on November 15, 2011 at 12:02pm
view ebb&flow's profile

I wish there was more warmth in this space. When I think "sunny", I expect some golden tones. Love the color palette; however, this room would be a real charmer with the addition of some orange-toned accents.

posted by brkpndrgrss on November 17, 2011 at 9:20am
view brkpndrgrss's profile

Wow!!! I love the stunningly bold color combinations.

We're constantly battling with fur balls too. The note about using neutral textiles because Charlotte sheds so much is a great tip.

posted by Mareseatoats on November 17, 2011 at 2:27pm
view Mareseatoats's profile

Not many people can pull off this wall color... but you did it beautifully. Unlike some of the other entries, I would enter this space and feel comfortable. It's serene, happy, and tasteful.

posted by ewhitish on November 18, 2011 at 10:58pm
view ewhitish's profile

Love the look! Its a shame the dog couldn't be toned down a little, though; maybe a walnut or a charcoal. Some fabric dye could fix that right up. Then you'd have a real show stopper on your hands!

posted by murderland designer on November 20, 2011 at 8:20am
view murderland designer's profile