Name:

Debbie

Greenbelt, Maryland

Division:

East

Colors Used

Turquoise, green and orange with good doses of white and black

Color Inspiration

The inspiration for my walls was a perfect September day when the sky is just so very blue and very dramatic. Though in execution, I went for turquoise because I thought it would be more versatile. This color is great because in some light it really reads blue and in other it's almost green. I always love turquoise and green together, especially grass green rather than lime, so that was an easy pairing. The orange came from my Salvation Army chair. My original plan was to have it reupholstered, but it's in near-perfect condition and brought out the orange in my largest painting. Plus the more I lived with it, the more I loved it so I brought in some pillows to play up the color even more.

Color Tips

Bold colors are often more versatile than traditional neutrals. I am happy pairing my turquoise walls with gold, silver, white, black, brown, beige or gray. Dark colors can also stand in for art - a wall doesn't seem as naked when it's covered with a gorgeous color. You can't say the same with white. My living room doesn't get a lot of light and having a bright yet dark color helps with this as well. Anything lighter could have felt very cold, but this color helps keep the room alive even without a lot of sunlight.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (23)

beautiful! Love the turquoise wall.

posted by Kiki Lee on October 24, 2011 at 12:19pm
view Kiki Lee's profile

Hey neighbor! I heart the quirky, community of Greenbelt and love visiting the movie theatre. I also love turquoise. It's one of my favorite colors.

posted by TKPKgirl on October 24, 2011 at 4:24pm
view TKPKgirl's profile

I also love the orange painting and how you put that large painting behind the TV.

posted by TKPKgirl on October 24, 2011 at 4:25pm
view TKPKgirl's profile

Thanks so much both of you! Behind the TV is actually a quilt my great aunt made. It's all little pieces of silk, probably bits of dresses and ties.

posted by DebbieFaye78 on October 24, 2011 at 5:42pm
view DebbieFaye78's profile

This room is cozy and inviting--great colors. But I do have to agree with paminparadise. I don't get the whole dead animal on the floor thing. Ditto with freakin' antlers on the wall.

posted by bellsonhopi on October 24, 2011 at 8:35pm
view bellsonhopi's profile

Me, I love animal prints, although I prefer faux materials. I think they make a great contrast -- like an exclamation mark -- to almost any color or style. Here, the black and white cow hide is a wonderful counterpoint to the deep turquoise room. Great job.

posted by Ocher Velvet on October 24, 2011 at 8:48pm
view Ocher Velvet's profile

Ah, I really feel like this room would look much better in a more sudued hue, maybe even white. There is already so much going on in the room, so many different colors in the art, the cushions, the knick-nacks ... I like the color but NOT in this room. Sorry.

posted by noticetothepublic on October 25, 2011 at 12:22am
view noticetothepublic's profile

I think too many people fear color on the walls - it's only paint! I think the bright walls really showcase the unique pieces in the room, and I love the variety of textures, colors, and prints!

posted by wardrobeoxygen on October 25, 2011 at 7:08am
view wardrobeoxygen's profile

I agree with wardrobeorxygen. The more I look at this room the more I like it. Though I adore light, airy rooms with lots of white, in this case if the walls were white, the whole rich, warm, layered look would be lost. The contrast of the deep turquoise and the orange really works for me.

Re the cowhide rug: I like animal prints too, Ocher Velvet, and I think the textured black and white works well in this room, along with the (anthropologie) curtains. But as a huge, ongoing trend, I think animal hides on the floor is, or should be, dead, so to speak. Intentionally or not, it evokes a kind of macho, Hemingway-esque sillyness that turns me off, personally.

posted by bellsonhopi on October 25, 2011 at 1:12pm
view bellsonhopi's profile

I recognize the old, US Navy equator-crossing certificate. I have my grandfather's from WWII. But hang it lower, so people can actually read it!

posted by tinyhands on October 25, 2011 at 5:40pm
view tinyhands's profile

I totally get people not liking cowhide rugs - though I do love mine! And it's faux from Overstock.

tinyhands - my ceilings are not that high, it actually is pretty readable and tends to be the first thing people notice when they come into the house. I love that you recognized it! Mine is my dad's from Korea. He also crossed the International Date Line and my sister has that certificate.

posted by DebbieFaye78 on October 25, 2011 at 6:13pm

yup, the curtains are from Anthropologie

posted by DebbieFaye78 on October 26, 2011 at 4:19pm

I love the turquoise color on the walls. But I feel like the prints/paintings hug the ceiling in an uncomfortable way... Perhaps they could be clustered more effectively to emphasize the room's two spaces (dining and seating)?

posted by joseph23 on October 27, 2011 at 3:00pm
view joseph23's profile

Joseph - yes, I totally agree, they are too close to the ceiling. But hanging them too so long that I haven't had the heart to rehang them. Though seeing the pictures here is motivating me!

posted by DebbieFaye78 on October 27, 2011 at 4:00pm

LOVE curtains!

posted by Blue Mom on October 27, 2011 at 8:00pm
view Blue Mom's profile

is that a quilt behind your t.v.? it's stunning

posted by lorrinm on October 31, 2011 at 2:51pm
view lorrinm's profile

What color name and paint company is this turquoise from?

posted by Vanessa Love on November 9, 2011 at 9:56pm
view Vanessa Love's profile

I find this room to be stunning, with the exception of the skin rug. I don't get that at all in any way. Otherwise the room is truly beautiful and lively (except for the dead thing on the floor) I think this room would be perfect with a pretty rug. It is so close to being perfect now.

posted by kassgood on November 11, 2011 at 5:35pm
view kassgood's profile

Okay, it's not dead, just manufactured, but it still mimics a skin .

posted by kassgood on November 11, 2011 at 5:37pm
view kassgood's profile

what the thing hanging behind you tv?
i TOTALLY love it!

posted by October23 on November 13, 2011 at 9:21am
view October23's profile

I like this room,love the colors. The only thing I would change would be the cow rug. maybe an orange one with texture.

posted by Vicky from San Bruno,Ca on November 13, 2011 at 6:21pm
view Vicky from San Bruno,Ca's profile

Love all your comments!

The paint is Ralph Lauren Blue Island.

Behind the TV is a quilt my great-aunt made. My mom saw my living room and immediately said "you need this quilt" and she was right! The blue in it is even a match for the walls.

posted by DebbieFaye78 on November 14, 2011 at 6:26pm

love your style. i also agree the rug does not match the rest of the place. yet i think you have done a great job!

posted by queenyellowsun on November 16, 2011 at 2:13am
view queenyellowsun's profile