Natasha and Brad's "Coral Me Happy" Room

Coral Me Happy

Name:

Natasha and Brad

Grand Rapids, Michigan

Division:

North

Colors Used

The wall color is Ellen Kennon’s Caribe.

Color Inspiration

Our inspiration for the room was the portraits of my in-laws. We wanted a wall color that would compliment them while making them stand out. We also wanted it to be something that is warm and cozy, yet cheery enough to carry us through our long, gloomy Michigan winters. We chose this coral, which fit those criteria and compliments the colors used elsewhere in our house. It’s a really happy color and our three daughters love having a pink living room!

Color Tips

I think the most important thing is to use colors that make you happy, and then incorporate variations of those colors throughout your house. Aside from looking cohesive, it makes it easy to swap things from room to room and give your house a fresh look without having to buy anything new. And for those who might think my husband wouldn’t love a pink room--he does! He helped chose the color and says it reminds him of The Royal Tenenbaums.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (48)

I have the same clock! I found it against a dumpster in an alley and fixed it up. Looks great against that color wall!

posted by retrocatz on October 25, 2011 at 2:16pm
view retrocatz's profile

Thanks for submitting Natasha and Brad! I can't get over how great your Living Room looks! Congratulations!!!

posted by EllenKennon on October 25, 2011 at 10:47am
view EllenKennon's profile

absolutely beautiful paint color!

posted by Cathleen Davidson on October 25, 2011 at 11:08am
view Cathleen Davidson's profile

This us a dream. So beautiful!

posted by Nicola Tesla on October 25, 2011 at 11:27am
view Nicola Tesla's profile

Looks awesome.

posted by FijiMermaid on October 25, 2011 at 11:43am
view FijiMermaid's profile

Right out of a magazine!!!! ( Denise not drnise). ;)

posted by Drnise on October 25, 2011 at 11:58am
view Drnise's profile

Just a wondering: why are all the book spines turned around?

Is that how you usually store them? Or were their colors displeasing as a part of your palette here?

posted by akay on October 25, 2011 at 12:00pm
view akay's profile

Thanks everybody, for your votes and support!

Akay, yes, that is how we usually store them. There is a library/playroom off the living room where we keep most of our books, but these don't fit in there. These are mostly mass market paperbacks with brightly colored spines and I find it jarring when they are turned around. They are organized alphabetically and by fiction/non-fiction though, so it's very easy to find what I am looking for! :)

posted by alahoop on October 25, 2011 at 12:45pm
view alahoop's profile

Very weird to see the books with the spine facing in. I would suggest that perhaps you turn the spines back out and organize them along the color spectrum (like this: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2610/3753183158_7bfbbcd04f.jpg). Then the books become attractive in the room and you do not have to hide them !!

posted by noticetothepublic on October 25, 2011 at 1:16pm
view noticetothepublic's profile

Are your inlaws divorced? Why are their pictures not hung together?

Also - I thought the paperbacks were a bizarre collection of phone books. I am going to stick with this story in my head.

posted by potpie on October 25, 2011 at 1:57pm
view potpie's profile

AMAZING! It looks so comfortable and cozy! I love the use of "treasures" that would otherwise end up in a landfill. The colors are bold and daring yet so...perfect! U have a gift!!!

posted by DeenaSuzanne on October 25, 2011 at 2:22pm
view DeenaSuzanne's profile

I think the spines facing in is an awesome styling choice. Please don't color code them! It's been done to death.

posted by mackenziedear on October 25, 2011 at 3:49pm
view mackenziedear's profile

Crazy coincidence: I just clicked over to these images of the Hickory Chair showroom at Highpoint Market and they're showing gorgeous spines-in styling! http://www.mimiandmegblog.com/2011/10/high-point-hickory-chair.html

posted by mackenziedear on October 25, 2011 at 3:57pm
view mackenziedear's profile

@potpie, I also thought the books were phonebooks at first glance. I have to pass on liking that choice.

posted by defaultname on October 25, 2011 at 4:48pm
view defaultname's profile

You have done a great job. I love it!!!!

posted by jana sammut on October 25, 2011 at 5:45pm
view jana sammut's profile

OMG love.

posted by Appy on October 25, 2011 at 6:45pm
view Appy's profile

Great job Natasha & Brad...it is just beautiful...

posted by glemke on October 25, 2011 at 8:10pm
view glemke's profile

LOVE the colour!

posted by rouquinne on October 25, 2011 at 8:38pm
view rouquinne's profile

Potpie, my in-laws are not divorced, although my father-in-law is deceased. We had the one of my father-in-law first and when we got the one of my mother-in-law I set it on the mantle to keep it from getting broken. We just liked it, so we left it like that.

Retrocatz, thanks. It's a fun clock, isn't it? I paid a few dollars for mine at a thrift store. I thought it was a good deal, though not as good as yours!

Mackenzie, how funny. Thanks for posting that link. I really didn't put much thought into it when I turned them around. I am surprised it was such a controversial thing to do.

posted by alahoop on October 25, 2011 at 8:39pm
view alahoop's profile

Also, I am cracking up. Phone books, really? That would certainly be an odd thing to collect and display! Although who knows, maybe someday they will become rare vintage collectibles that people will proudly display in their living rooms--undoubtedly with the spines out!

posted by alahoop on October 25, 2011 at 8:41pm
view alahoop's profile

Favoriting for two reasons:
1. Beautiful!
2. Defy the storage nazis. Store your books however you want.

posted by unabridged on October 25, 2011 at 8:57pm
view unabridged's profile

Fabulous! ;)

posted by Soupstar on October 25, 2011 at 10:08pm
view Soupstar's profile

This is just beautiful. Your tastes are so perfectly suited to what I love. Come decorate my house when I finally get one. I mean it.

posted by cynicalredhead on October 25, 2011 at 10:37pm
view cynicalredhead's profile

Pink is balls; well this pink is.
wait I meant walls . . . .

posted by betty33 on October 26, 2011 at 12:43am
view betty33's profile

Beautiful room! Great use of light, colors and contrast. Hope you win!

posted by Jan Gauvin on October 26, 2011 at 9:21am
view Jan Gauvin's profile

lovely!

posted by e53 on October 26, 2011 at 2:34pm
view e53's profile

This room gives me the warm fuzzies (in a non-creepy way), so pretty and warm!

posted by sarrazak on October 26, 2011 at 6:03pm
view sarrazak's profile

seriously? The books are an issue? Looks great guys......very cozy!

posted by aunt cindy on October 27, 2011 at 12:43pm
view aunt cindy's profile

The book thing is horrible, i won't vote for this room on principle. love pink, but that book thing is just wanky.

posted by Pipstar on October 27, 2011 at 4:44pm
view Pipstar's profile

wow - is that an emerald green on one chair and lavender on another? And then you put it against the coral wall - oh wow, you are good. And I especially appreciate how many traditional pieces of furniture you used in a really fresh way. Great work!

posted by RobinD. on October 27, 2011 at 6:45pm
view RobinD.'s profile

I wouldn't think this pink could work, but it does! Very cool.

posted by laneyp on October 28, 2011 at 10:46am
view laneyp's profile

I didn 't even notice the books. Love the couch and flowers.

Also, GR represent! I moved away last year and still miss it. Just had dinner at the Green Well a few weeks ago. :)

posted by Laura H. on October 28, 2011 at 1:03pm
view Laura H.'s profile

So wonderful to see one of Ellen Kennon's Full Spectrum Paints being used!!! Naturally beautiful...

posted by emilylauderback on October 28, 2011 at 1:57pm
view emilylauderback's profile

The color looks a bit more mauve than coral to me. The color scheme gives it a dated feel. But overall, I think it's lovely.

posted by Erika Cheng on October 28, 2011 at 2:32pm
view Erika Cheng's profile

Thanks everybody, for the votes and comments! I have really enjoyed reading all of your feedback, both positive and negative--although we're leaving the books as they are. :)

It's funny, but I don't think I would have been brave enough to do a coral room if it wasn't full spectrum paint. It really does go with everything, but it can be tricky to photograph because it changes so much. It has never looked mauve to me, but computers and monitors can vary so much that I bet it looks a little different to everybody. In person, it's a lovely, warm pink, that goes beautifully with the oranges in our house.

Laura, it's great to hear from another Grand Rapidian! I am not originally from here, but I love it.

posted by alahoop on October 28, 2011 at 4:41pm
view alahoop's profile

we love the lamp from grandpa's bar!!!

posted by joanneeeee on October 31, 2011 at 7:23pm
view joanneeeee's profile

You need to come to my house.

posted by Cheryl Welke on November 1, 2011 at 3:44pm
view Cheryl Welke's profile

Great color, great balance!

posted by MadAboutBooks on November 1, 2011 at 7:29pm
view MadAboutBooks's profile

Beautiful room.

posted by mhammer on November 1, 2011 at 10:51pm
view mhammer's profile

Wow, you are up there and deservingly so! Good luck to you the room is just beautiful!

posted by LittleMissSunshine on November 2, 2011 at 6:52am
view LittleMissSunshine's profile

This is very beautiful! I like the use of space, not too much, not too little and everything isnt absolutely a-symmetrical (nevermind the colours are quite lovely).

posted by akolkman on November 3, 2011 at 8:09pm
view akolkman's profile

Great color! Love the green accessories with the coral walls.

posted by marcy.stoeven on November 8, 2011 at 11:21pm
view marcy.stoeven's profile

I love this. It's especially great with the wood trim.

posted by jhonspops on November 10, 2011 at 9:32am
view jhonspops's profile

Very sweet. Love it.

posted by Tawana Walker on November 13, 2011 at 7:41pm
view Tawana Walker's profile

the coral looks so nice!!

posted by JodieAnn on November 13, 2011 at 11:40pm
view JodieAnn's profile

favorite for sure! AT house tour please!!

posted by queenyellowsun on November 16, 2011 at 3:19am
view queenyellowsun's profile

Love it! I never get enough of coral in an interior and yet it's a gutsy move. It's the most flattering color for skin tones of all shades. Bet your friends and family look marvelous in this room!

posted by sara from garniture on November 17, 2011 at 10:33pm
view sara from garniture's profile

lovely room. I noticed the books right away, they really caught my eye, and I wondered if they were some kind of manuals or telephone books. The bright yellow really stands out.

posted by kassgood on November 18, 2011 at 12:40pm
view kassgood's profile