Suzanne's "Bohemian" Bedroom

Bohemian

Name:

Suzanne

Salt Lake City, Utah

Division:

West

Colors Used

blue, brown, white, orange, beige, turquoise, green.

Color Inspiration

The many angles, and the fact that the ceiling slopes from 3 feet to 12 feet in the middle, makes the room a challenge to furnish and decorate. Hence the room has been slowly evolving over 8 years (and we're still not done). The first thing we did was paint it a calming green/blue with a chocolate brown accent wall. Next came the rug from Anthropologie which set the bohemian flower vibe. After many different duvet covers, we finally settled on this one from Pottery Barn. The colors and pattern were so vibrant, it was love at first sight. The orange from the duvet is picked up in the orange of the throw pillows. I'd been coveting the lamp shades for a long time, and when they went on sale at Anthro, I snapped them up. The curtains which hide my husbands closet, and the roman blinds, are a natural linen. Those as well as the jute rug under the bed help counterbalance the crazy patterns elsewhere.

Color Tips

Sometimes things need time to evolve. Tastes change and so do trends, but you'll eventually settle on a style that sticks and you'll find that everything you buy starts to fit in with everything else. Oh, but don't go totally crazy with color and pattern. You need to have a few neutral things as a counterbalance.

Posts on Apartment Therapy

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (48)

Lovely and peaceful.

posted by mkuplady on October 18, 2010 at 3:05pm
view mkuplady's profile

Love the colors and the patterns combo. Every details come together beautifully!

posted by yicooper on October 31, 2010 at 2:09am
view yicooper's profile

My favorite so far! This is proof that a room can be colorful without those super-saturated colors. It's still calm and harmonious. The unexpected pattern pairings give it richness, and the layout is perfect.

posted by dwelement on October 18, 2010 at 9:02am
view dwelement's profile

I love this one! Beautiful colors and patterns. Even though the colors aren't bright, the room still feels "colorful".

posted by HeyNowTex on October 18, 2010 at 10:47am
view HeyNowTex's profile

Lovely, inviting, and serene--this is the first room I've felt compelled to "favorite"!

posted by hyzen on October 18, 2010 at 2:00pm
view hyzen's profile

Love. The colors, the patterns the textures, the cool vibe, the books......... Everything!

posted by creative license on October 18, 2010 at 2:13pm
view creative license's profile

Wow. What a great sense of color and pattern! I think this is my fav. Love the curtain-- and what is the wall color?? Amazing.

posted by lcat on October 18, 2010 at 2:21pm
view lcat's profile

This is the perfect spot to escape from day-to-day craziness. The color scheme is just right for rest, relaxation and to reset the soul-o-meter.

posted by zappledd on October 18, 2010 at 2:36pm
view zappledd's profile

Beautiful!

posted by carolanthes on October 18, 2010 at 2:44pm
view carolanthes's profile

simply beautiful.

posted by MissKitka on October 18, 2010 at 3:38pm
view MissKitka's profile

It all look so gorgeous and effortless. My fave so far :)

posted by Kinky Gazpacho on October 18, 2010 at 3:41pm
view Kinky Gazpacho's profile

Perfect. I agree that color isn't just about how many different super-saturated colors you can cram into a space. It takes a great deal of skill to match patterns like this and not have it look like a mess. Kudos.

posted by Yvette on October 18, 2010 at 4:58pm
view Yvette's profile

I have always loved Suzanne's sense of design. Where can we see more? a blog?

posted by SheilaY on October 18, 2010 at 5:40pm
view SheilaY's profile

Very Amy Butler. Oh la la.

posted by westcoastlove on October 18, 2010 at 7:36pm
view westcoastlove's profile

Thanks for all the kind comments. This is so exciting! The paint colors are by Behr, but I'll have to pop into the garage and see if I still have the old tins, I'll let you know.

posted by britabroad on October 19, 2010 at 1:44am
view britabroad's profile

Very glamourous, yet low-key and "do-able"! Well done.

posted by olderworker on October 19, 2010 at 6:01pm
view olderworker's profile

This is my favorite so far. Winner! Where's the blog so I can see more...

posted by freddiemac on October 21, 2010 at 12:02pm
view freddiemac's profile

Love it...when can you do our rooms ?

posted by malcofarabia on October 21, 2010 at 12:50pm
view malcofarabia's profile

Nice one Suzanne

posted by Chad L on October 21, 2010 at 2:15pm
view Chad L's profile

Wow, thanks again for the positive comments. I just wanted to let you know that I've put a few more pictures up on my blog at backonfestiveroad.blogspot.com. Come and check it out and see what else I've been working on.

posted by britabroad on October 21, 2010 at 4:38pm

Another winner! The mix of patterns is really inspiring. This room is full of colors and pattern but feels so easy. Really love how you handled the sloped ceilings - I know that's not easy to tackle a room with this kind of tricky ceiling. But it feels so effortless and comfortable. And easy to actually live in. My favorite part is the amazing bedding. Gorgeous!

posted by ofenno on October 22, 2010 at 1:38pm
view ofenno's profile

Great patterns and I'm in love with the bed curtain. Very romantic.

posted by yehforvina on October 25, 2010 at 5:02am
view yehforvina's profile

Very cool!

posted by anurag on October 26, 2010 at 10:12pm
view anurag's profile

Nice colors & pattern. Love it!

posted by manjukar on October 27, 2010 at 1:46pm
view manjukar's profile

Glad to see another fan of Anthropologie! Well done on a beautiful job.

posted by hargreaves on October 27, 2010 at 6:17pm
view hargreaves's profile

Wow, you are really moving up! I have to say that I am glad :-) but that may just be because your room is closer to my style then "New Orleans" Kitchen. I do not think your room should win overall, but I do enjoy it!

posted by CrispyFry5 on October 27, 2010 at 9:44pm
view CrispyFry5's profile

I am voting for Ringo the cat at the window, he rocks!

posted by sam dingley on October 28, 2010 at 12:56pm
view sam dingley's profile

My favorite! Gorgeous and creative, yet soothing. Very talented.

posted by kirstenf on October 28, 2010 at 3:00pm
view kirstenf's profile

If only I could have afforded to be this chic when I lived in Paris.

posted by The prof on October 28, 2010 at 3:26pm
view The prof's profile

Simply beautiful!

posted by joshbakescakes on October 28, 2010 at 3:43pm
view joshbakescakes's profile

Would CrispyCream, sorry CrispyFry care to divulge who they believe is worthy of a win in their eyes? On the whole I agree with most of your comments across the competition. There's some pretty awful entries here with disproportionate votes, "Bohemian bedroom" is not one of them!

posted by freddiemac on October 28, 2010 at 4:41pm
view freddiemac's profile

please make my bedroom look like this one!

posted by mjsmith123 on October 29, 2010 at 12:24am
view mjsmith123's profile

I just logged on to see who had won in each region and the voting is still open. I read that the voting would end at 7am. Are the rules able to change at will?

posted by zappledd on October 29, 2010 at 1:35pm
view zappledd's profile

so pretty!!! i wish this was MY room! suzanne, you manage to combine patterns brilliantly (a true skill) and use one of my favorite color palettes. love it!

posted by Jennyeileen on October 29, 2010 at 2:06pm
view Jennyeileen's profile

Not sure about the table lamp shades, but everything else works really well together. Unusual but soothing and beautiful.

posted by Rackers on November 1, 2010 at 12:38pm
view Rackers's profile

This strikes a great balance between pattern & color. Well done! You deserve a win here because this is a space that meets all the criteria.

posted by dimples on November 3, 2010 at 12:22am
view dimples's profile

Suzanne, any idea where you got the actual lamp? I love, love how tall it is and the sculpting.

posted by annedc on November 2, 2010 at 1:33pm
view annedc's profile

Thanks Anne, it's one of my favourite pieces. It's from Anthropologie, as well as the shade. The lamp originally retailed for over $500, but I managed to buy it for around $130 in the sale section because it has a crack in it (you can't really see it unless you're looking for it). I bought the lampshade a few months later for half price. I'm lucky to have a great Anthropologie store in town. I just checked their website and they don't seem to be carrying it anymore. They may still have it in the stores though.

posted by britabroad on November 2, 2010 at 1:49pm

So serene. Fav!!

posted by dsmom04 on November 2, 2010 at 2:49pm
view dsmom04's profile

Awesome, thanks for the info!

posted by annedc on November 2, 2010 at 3:22pm
view annedc's profile

This is my first time posting on this site and this room is the motivation I needed. What a beautiful room to come home to! I love the colors and the not-quite-matching patterns. Very well done. I'm inspired.

posted by sohochick on November 2, 2010 at 11:19pm
view sohochick's profile

Thanks dimples & sohochick. I agree with you wholeheartedly ;)

posted by britabroad on November 3, 2010 at 12:28am

My favorite! I love the combination of not just the color, but the patterns, too.

posted by jillya on November 4, 2010 at 10:05am
view jillya's profile

i love the combination of prints on the bed. that shot of the pillows is beautiful.

posted by annalea on November 4, 2010 at 8:19pm
view annalea's profile

Freddiemac, I just noticed your post now. If you click on my name you can see all my posts which will give you a clear indication of who I think should win. And I agree that this room was appropriately awarded the top spot over some of the other rooms in this competition. It seems people are either voting very literally (like for rooms where every surface is painted a different color... even if it looks ridiculous) or just voting for the room they like best (regardless of how un-colorful it is.)

Though I personally do not think this room is the best representation for the criteria of this competition, I still like it a lot :-) And I am glad to see Suzanne got the 15 gallons of paint!

posted by CrispyFry5 on November 6, 2010 at 12:22pm
view CrispyFry5's profile

Super cute! After years of living with Fall colors, i am ready for some cool blue. I love it!

posted by CaliKari on November 17, 2010 at 7:54pm
view CaliKari's profile

Sweet & Dreamy .... <3

posted by tricialea on February 12, 2011 at 8:42am
view tricialea's profile

Love It! I'm inspired to make a few changes in my room after looking at this! Great job!

posted by je@nettelynne on March 14, 2011 at 1:41am
view je@nettelynne's profile