Mary 's "Yellow Happiness" Dining Room

Yellow Happiness

Name:

Mary

Bradford, Massachusetts

Division:

East

Colors Used

I've got a Behr paint called "Cheerful Hue" on the walls. I fell in love with golden yellow years ago, in a crummy apartment where I had to paint the wallpaper, because the landlord was afraid the walls would crumble if I pulled it down. I've had a golden room in my house ever since - this color simply GLOWS in the early morning and late evening of summer, and seeing this room from my living room makes me happy, every time. The rest of the colors are obviously a mishmash of mid-century vibrancy in the various trinkets and pictures.

Color Inspiration

Color makes me happy. I've been reading decorating magazines for years, and clipping articles showing rooms that made me happy. The common elements were quirky, one-of-a-kind reused items and loads and loads of vibrant colors. The rugs from Company C and Dash and Albert are a great idea source, as has been the work of Susan Sargent and her vibrant interiors.

Color Tips

Don't be afraid to paint and repaint! While the yellow is semi-permanent in my dwellings, I've also had blueberry blue and apple green and (as you can see in the card catalog in my kitchen) tomato red. It's really easy to repaint if you get tired of a color, so just embrace the ones you love now.

Posts on Apartment Therapy

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (15)

I don't usually like yellow, but this room made me smile. Great use of color, play and whimsy.

posted by I {heart} Rhody on October 18, 2010 at 10:06pm
view I {heart} Rhody's profile

That's a LOT of yellow, but I like it. :) Are those 45s on the wall prints? Or are they actually 45s?

posted by Lizabethy on October 18, 2010 at 8:28am
view Lizabethy's profile

I really love this. It is so sparse and disciplined, but full of witty visual rhymes and cartoony touches that make it fun and interesting to see. I feel happy.

posted by Kate (NC) on October 18, 2010 at 3:23pm
view Kate (NC)'s profile

What a cool room! And yellow- my favorite color!

posted by yellowgiantgiraffes on October 18, 2010 at 5:24pm
view yellowgiantgiraffes's profile

Lizabethy - just some 45s glued to foamboard. Super cheap and with a BIG visual impact. :)

Mary

posted by Mary B C on October 18, 2010 at 5:51pm
view Mary B C's profile

Love the chairs! Where'd you find 'em?

posted by RowRowRow on October 18, 2010 at 8:30pm
view RowRowRow's profile

I have a yellow with hits of bright yellow and a black table dining room, too. Love yours! Such a happy room.

posted by Natalie from MI on October 18, 2010 at 9:58pm
view Natalie from MI's profile

:) :) :)....Can't help but smile..:)

posted by junklover on October 19, 2010 at 8:41am
view junklover's profile

This is fun! And I love the floor....

posted by EmmyL on October 19, 2010 at 10:02am
view EmmyL's profile

RowRowRow, the chairs are my favorite thing, too. I got them at Todd Farm Flea Market in Rowley - where I get most of my cool things -at about 5 a.m., before the crowds showed up. They were originally in a conference room or dining room at the Pratt & Whitney Aircraft factory - they've still got their inventory tags on the bottoms. I think the machinists at P&WA probably designed and poured the legs themselves, which I love.

posted by Mary B C on October 20, 2010 at 4:14am
view Mary B C's profile

The "urns" full of marbles and pool balls look kind of forced, like "look at me, I'm whimsical" while the striped floor, 3 by 3 rectangular frames of the same size, and perfectly aligned pallets of 45s all feel angular and rigid. This room is like a kid with both ADHD and OCD.

posted by Kelliente on October 20, 2010 at 2:58pm
view Kelliente's profile

What a great idea!!

Also, since Kelliente brought it up, I do see a little weirdness with the jars. I love the idea and don't think it looks forced at all, but I do think you could probably use different containers. You probably intended to try not to overdo the color or compete with the brightness of the yellow. I think the containers are just too small for real impact, even in a group. It does seem a little plopped down...what about using some kind of basket or a big white bowl for the pool balls? Something with texture. I really like the concept, but the jars really aren't working there.

Maybe if there was just one jar?

I don't know; I still love this room. :)

posted by Lizabethy on October 22, 2010 at 10:40am
view Lizabethy's profile

omg, love the floor !!

posted by pizzapi on October 31, 2010 at 6:02pm
view pizzapi's profile

p.s. from the peek we get in pic #2, looks like a really cute kitchen ! :D

posted by pizzapi on October 31, 2010 at 6:02pm
view pizzapi's profile

Love so much in here... the chairs are SWEET , centerpieces unique, the floors stunning ... great mash up of I'm sure things you cherish. KUDOS!

posted by tricialea on February 12, 2011 at 9:08am
view tricialea's profile