Janelle's "Viva La Femme" Room

Viva La Femme

Name:

Janelle

Washington, Washington D.C.

Division:

South

Colors Used

Benjamin Moore & Co's: Fire and Ice (customized to 25% lighter for bed area) Fuchsine (living area) Pacific Palisades (hallway) Perennial (kitchen)

Color Inspiration

Warm, afternoon sunlight basks my condo with golden rays. As such, I was looking for a color palette that evoked a sense of warmth, comfort, and vivacity. The springboard for my color combo started with a candle purchased at Anthropologie. The candle was packaged in a silver tin with a similar shade of purple that I used in the "bedroom" area, creme, and steely gray filigree-type lace design, which was feminine yet modern. I love fuchsia/red, as well, so when I found the amazing area rug on Overstock, I thought it'd be a great way to transition the colors from purple to pink. I've always wanted an apple green kitchen, which worked with the pink since they're partners in color contrast. The teal played off well with the rest of the colors and balanced the rest of the space out by marking out hallway territory.

Color Tips

Go big. Go bold. Commit, but be sure to take the time to test drive colors. Before fully slathering my walls in paint, I was recommended by my dear friend and savvy designer, Blair Riggs, to paint 2x2 foot swatches of paint on the walls and observe the colors throughout the day. I took stock of the colors in the morning, right when I came back from work when the sun brightly shined in the space, then at night when the condo was dimly lit I was generally pleased with the tone and warmth of the colors, except for the purple fire and ice, which came out a little too dark in the evening. The situation was easily fixed by customizing with more white in the mix. After another day of testing the new color, I was in business! So, aspiring color comrades, I suggest you never fear, do your homework, and wear sunglasses if ya need to!

Posts on Apartment Therapy

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (79)

Great!

posted by babet on October 16, 2010 at 2:36pm
view babet's profile

now this is what i'm talking about! thank you for entering. your studio is fantastic!

posted by Lady J on October 13, 2010 at 10:12am
view Lady J's profile

wonderful, fun&cozy :)

posted by skarpetka on October 13, 2010 at 10:19am
view skarpetka's profile

Great vibrant colors. Love how the different colors on each wall breaks the room up to make it look and feel so much bigger.

posted by josydaisy on October 13, 2010 at 10:45am
view josydaisy's profile

Wow, love it

posted by idontdobeige on October 13, 2010 at 11:32am
view idontdobeige's profile

Wow, talk about fearless. I love it.

posted by Cashew on October 13, 2010 at 11:47am
view Cashew's profile

Love it!

posted by youngrunner on October 13, 2010 at 12:17pm
view youngrunner's profile

What fun colors and such a variety! This is an awesome room.

posted by designink on October 13, 2010 at 1:04pm
view designink's profile

This is really BEAUTIFUL! Would you please come hook a sister up????

posted by Valerie Brown on October 13, 2010 at 1:11pm
view Valerie Brown's profile

Whooaaaa!! Okay, now we've got some COLOR! Love it -- love the boldness and the lightheartedness.

posted by LolaDanger on October 13, 2010 at 2:19pm
view LolaDanger's profile

What, no grey?

Kidding! This room definitely evokes the spirit of the contest. Kudos to you.

posted by EC_ on October 13, 2010 at 2:29pm
view EC_'s profile

totally cute. i could absolutely live here

posted by curlybrown on October 13, 2010 at 3:13pm
view curlybrown's profile

Not a whole lot of money, not unrealistic, this is great eye candy. I get tired of places so edited that no real person could live there.

posted by funnybee on October 13, 2010 at 3:34pm
view funnybee's profile

This is the BEST use of bright, bold colours I've EVER seen. Seriously, this definitely has to make it at least to the finals. It's insanely colourful and yet not irritating or ugly or chintzy. It takes a good eye, great imagination, and a very brave soul to try this and to pull it off successfully. Definitely added to my favourites.

posted by sauceykat on October 13, 2010 at 3:45pm
view sauceykat's profile

Cacophony Corner. My friend whose favorite color is "too many" would LOVE this room.

posted by JayF on October 13, 2010 at 3:46pm
view JayF's profile

Wow! Now that's what the contest is about. I love it. Can I move in, please?

posted by Karen302 on October 13, 2010 at 3:48pm
view Karen302's profile

If only my husband could see the beauty in this, my whole house would look like this! How could you not wake up in the best mood ever everyday. So beautiful!

posted by sparkleaholic on October 13, 2010 at 4:01pm
view sparkleaholic's profile

Love these colors! How could one not stop smiling while enjoying time in these rooms! Wonderful, bright colors! This IS a winner!

posted by Team BT on October 13, 2010 at 4:35pm
view Team BT's profile

This is my absolute favorite entry so far. Congratulations on a job well done.

posted by solvera on October 13, 2010 at 4:37pm
view solvera's profile

love it! agree w/ sauceycat above...def the best use of bright, bold colors i've seen!

posted by gretchenalexis on October 13, 2010 at 4:38pm
view gretchenalexis's profile

Wow it is like Alice in Wonderland. It is awesome kinda reminds me of my apartment, no neutrals for us!

posted by her_royal_gr8ness on October 13, 2010 at 4:42pm
view her_royal_gr8ness's profile

wow! so much color! very brave indeed...i am also kinda digging the duvet and the dressing table in the bedroom. sources? very cute!

posted by BKdesignstalker on October 13, 2010 at 4:44pm
view BKdesignstalker's profile

OK. Wow. Bright colors. Fun to look at. Well done - Janelle knows what she's doing so hats off! This takes a lot of skill! As for me, I wouldn't be able to relax for a second. That's why they make a zillion paint colors :)

posted by citipearl on October 13, 2010 at 5:10pm
view citipearl's profile

this room has soo much personality and life!!

posted by flobelly on October 13, 2010 at 5:18pm
view flobelly's profile

Though I love the colors it is a bit busy for my taste, but fits exactly what this contest is all about. Great job Janelle.

posted by thesmilequeen on October 13, 2010 at 5:43pm
view thesmilequeen's profile

Thanks for the comments, people! I do love my place. It's bright, fun, and certainly cheerful. The duvet is from West Elm, dresser is a diaper changing table from Overstock that I switched out the knobs for mercurial class ones from Anthropologie, and I chose the more neutral furniture b/c who knows what colors I might want to paint the room when I get bored of these? =) Thanks for the support and I hope to see you at the "nationals" hahaha

posted by Janelle in DC on October 13, 2010 at 6:00pm
view Janelle in DC's profile

Awesome! It made me smile.

posted by Yorch on October 13, 2010 at 6:15pm
view Yorch's profile

Wow! The colors are amazing, and I love how they're used to designate different areas. I would be so happy living there.

posted by ccahillmn on October 13, 2010 at 6:33pm
view ccahillmn's profile

Great color choices and demonstration of how color can really define a space.

posted by I {heart} Rhody on October 13, 2010 at 6:55pm
view I {heart} Rhody's profile

I actually like the understated furniture in this one, because it's flexible--as Janelle herself says-- and it doesn't clash or compete with all the colours. If she were to do some crazy, colourful furniture, then I just don't think it would work so well. You have to have something neutral to ground the room, I think.

posted by sauceykat on October 13, 2010 at 6:55pm
view sauceykat's profile

I just love this!

posted by schmoo on October 13, 2010 at 7:35pm
view schmoo's profile

My walls are looking very pale right now. Your place looks awesome!

posted by Bea__ on October 13, 2010 at 7:46pm
view Bea__'s profile

Wow, this blows me away!

posted by suzy8track on October 13, 2010 at 9:17pm
view suzy8track's profile

Very cool how the spots of sunlight relate to the bedding.

posted by susan1741 on October 13, 2010 at 9:42pm
view susan1741's profile

What I cannot get over is the sense of rightness I feel when one color changes to another! Also, whoever did the actual painting did a flawless job. Amazing. And yes, the rug is beautiful - an example of "rightness of colors combining"; and, yes again, the quiet, solid, quality furniture is like "having a stamp of approval" on your fun. Finally, I was happy to note that the bedroom is all one lovely color, with such a rich yet calm duvet, pillows, wooden dresser (with stars for knobs) and a moonshine vanity/desk. Great job! And, how wise you are to say "I don't know what I might love next".

posted by justjude on October 13, 2010 at 10:24pm
view justjude's profile

Well, that's the GREAT one - love it :)

posted by Judaii on October 14, 2010 at 4:30am
view Judaii's profile

This is so you, Janelle, colorful! Love it and you!

posted by FBR on October 14, 2010 at 9:07am
view FBR's profile

OKAY, THIS is what the contest is about. Not drab brown rooms with only one speck of color! What's amazing is that you used so many BRIGHT colors and actually made it look pretty! Great job!

posted by ameliepoulain on October 14, 2010 at 1:18pm
view ameliepoulain's profile

Sweet, so girlish!

posted by HiCow on October 14, 2010 at 2:09pm
view HiCow's profile

Absolutely love the colors. It's so you Janelle! Christine took great photos too.

posted by jiheeya on October 14, 2010 at 3:52pm
view jiheeya's profile

In the wrong hands, such a wild palette could have looked juvenile, but it is surprisingly sophisticated. Great work!

posted by slowdown on October 14, 2010 at 4:05pm
view slowdown's profile

Thanks for letting me crash at the Casa de Hu!

posted by The Poon on October 14, 2010 at 6:50pm
view The Poon's profile

This is my favorite entry thus far. Awesome job, I LOVE how all the colors flow! This is a dream of mine, if I could only get my husband to see things my way.

posted by Gemmine on October 14, 2010 at 6:58pm
view Gemmine's profile

I hope this wins in a landslide! The colors, the layout, everything about this is amazing. I'm getting ready to paint my apartment and I picked out colors very similar to the blue and purple you used, but in the past few days I've wondered if I should tone them down a bit. Seeing this room convinces me to go ahead with my choices because bright and bold can look so good!

posted by joco on October 14, 2010 at 10:56pm
view joco's profile

I hope you can win, Janelle. These colors are fascinatingly beautiful, vibrant and happy. I might change my mind now to use more bold colors when I paint my house, hopefully, by next year.

posted by Grace Hu on October 16, 2010 at 3:41am
view Grace Hu's profile

We love it! What a big, fearless, and bold statement! Hope you win by a landslide!

posted by anrchui on October 17, 2010 at 11:34am
view anrchui's profile

One of the best posts ever, I would love to do this at my home! The colors are fantastic, total style!

posted by colleen2009 on October 18, 2010 at 7:20pm
view colleen2009's profile

Your place is warm and cozy and absolutely a joy!! Good luck with the competition!

posted by JoelleS on October 20, 2010 at 9:14am
view JoelleS's profile

I have to log on and look at this room every day, it is so cool and makes me happy! I seriously hope you win!

posted by colleen2009 on October 19, 2010 at 4:13pm

Hanging out in Janelle's apartment is like getting hugged by a rainbow.

posted by HigherVision on October 19, 2010 at 1:04pm
view HigherVision's profile

LOVE the colors! And everything is so well put together. Definitely THE winner! Awesome job, Janelle!

posted by KristineM on October 19, 2010 at 1:25pm
view KristineM's profile

WOW!!! Love the bright & bold colors!!
You go girl!!!

posted by jayhiker on October 19, 2010 at 2:43pm
view jayhiker's profile

If this doesn't win, I don't know what will. Love it!

posted by MeganinDakar on October 19, 2010 at 4:52pm
view MeganinDakar's profile

I suppose there are a few benefits of being single. I can chose any color(s) of the rainbow I want to live in (and hug with)! heh heh heh. In all seriousness, I’m so thankful for my friends who taught me how to paint and leant me more than a few helping hands! @joco, you definitely have my vote for bold colors! @colleen2009, you’re hilarious – too bad you can’t vote every time you log in! hahhaha Thanks for all the favoritos!

posted by Janelle in DC on October 19, 2010 at 10:30pm
view Janelle in DC's profile

Wow, takes a lot of guts to even decide to try something like this. I would not want it myself but I definitely think it works.

posted by CrispyFry5 on October 20, 2010 at 12:34pm
view CrispyFry5's profile

Janelle, I know I wish I could keep voting for you! (( just had to look again))

posted by colleen2009 on October 20, 2010 at 5:06pm

I love how happy this looks. It just radiates FUN! I would looove to see the closet. I can see a peek but I bet it's even cooler close up ;)
Great room!

posted by ShoeGalKarla on October 21, 2010 at 9:12am
view ShoeGalKarla's profile

Wow, you Go Girl!

posted by Diana A. Rodriguez on October 21, 2010 at 10:53am
view Diana A. Rodriguez's profile

Dislike! Sorry, this way too much of a good thing if you ask me. This space actually disgusts me.

posted by AngieBang on October 21, 2010 at 11:01am
view AngieBang's profile

It reminds me of a Lisa Frank folder.

posted by AngieBang on October 21, 2010 at 11:02am
view AngieBang's profile

Was this your inspiration?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.laurenmagistro.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/202939068.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.laurenmagistro.com/2009/03/05/pink-dolphins/&usg=__dpNWRuK_w_Lz0kkef9CT-m71v_o=&h=500&w=500&sz=56&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=jzWVJsyBrAp7mM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlisa%2Bfrank%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1005%26bih%3D577%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=468&vpy=93&dur=467&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=121&ty=124&ei=K6_ATJSMJcfLnAehv7ShCg&oei=K6_ATJSMJcfLnAehv7ShCg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0

posted by AngieBang on October 21, 2010 at 5:31pm
view AngieBang's profile

Bright! Bold and super Funky!

posted by Sacha on October 22, 2010 at 12:50pm
view Sacha's profile

This space definitely is cheery. I love the bedroom the most!

And @AngieBang, what is your problem? You clearly don't like the room but there's no need to be mean about it (and comment 3 times about it too).

posted by yehforvina on October 25, 2010 at 4:58am
view yehforvina's profile

This makes me smile. I don't think anybody could be depressed in a space like this. My husband would never go for it but I do love it! :)

posted by teapotrose on October 26, 2010 at 2:26pm
view teapotrose's profile

yeah AngieBang, you aren't very nice.

posted by colleen2009 on October 27, 2010 at 11:55am

No really, I'm an extremely nice person. I just had a very strong and passionate reaction to these colors.

posted by Design Police on October 27, 2010 at 6:17pm
view Design Police's profile

AngieBang / Design Police: you are an extremely nice person with double account disorder. At least log in the right one next time you want to insult somebody.

posted by Mariargentina on October 28, 2010 at 8:25pm
view Mariargentina's profile

Each colour is beautiful, I'm not entirely sure about them all working together in such a small space, but I applaud your boldness! Very refreshing and uplifting.

posted by Rackers on November 1, 2010 at 12:42pm
view Rackers's profile

For the sheer madness of this apartment I had to vote for it.

Crazy stuff and it seems to work really well.

posted by Kitchens on November 2, 2010 at 1:33pm
view Kitchens's profile

This is great. I love to see colour in a room. Cheerful and pretty, it made me smile.

posted by Stencil-Helen on November 2, 2010 at 1:51pm
view Stencil-Helen's profile

I wish I was this brave. I love it.

posted by temporarynest on November 2, 2010 at 2:55pm
view temporarynest's profile

When a place is yours, it should be YOURS! I could not help but be energized and overjoyed to come home to this every day, especially in a dreary DC winter. Applause!

posted by tlight on November 2, 2010 at 2:55pm
view tlight's profile

great job actually I am going to vote for you it's so bold, cheery and dary wow .... It took me a while to decide for i don't think the furniture works with this piece of colored art.
I also had a problem looking from the kitchen to the windows with that huge wall painted that color a tad too much?
All the other views look great so you're the winner congrats and have a great week end!

posted by charpini on November 2, 2010 at 3:33pm
view charpini's profile

LOVE IT! This entire place captures J's personality PERFECTLY! Bright, sunny, cheerful, beautiful...and NOT BORING! It's so femme! Me can't wait to see!

posted by Yo Mama on November 2, 2010 at 6:40pm
view Yo Mama's profile

you have really pulled off an incredibly bold mix of colors well. a great example of how paint can completely change a room.

posted by annalea on November 4, 2010 at 8:22pm
view annalea's profile

I LOOOOOVE THIS!!!! Like a previous comment I wish I could get my other half to like this too.

posted by Nadine6 on November 28, 2010 at 8:11am
view Nadine6's profile

I love color but a little to intentional for me.

posted by lillybug on December 23, 2010 at 6:26pm
view lillybug's profile

liking it totally.

posted by Cherrybom on August 25, 2011 at 8:36am
view Cherrybom's profile

Looks pretty incredible... you usually don't see these many colors used in an area, but they blend really, really well.

Great job, Behr!

Regards,

http://buynpayhere.com

posted by christypaige on January 13, 2012 at 3:17pm
view christypaige's profile