David's "Robin's Egg Refresh" Bedroom

Robin's Egg Refresh

Name:

David

San Francisco, California

Division:

West

Colors Used

Robin's egg blue, burnt orange, chocolate brown.

Color Inspiration

When we decided to repaint our bedroom, we thought it would be nice to use a bold color for a change, rather than the white and taupe walls we had before. I always liked the way dark wood and gilt gold looked against a deep robin's egg blue, so we decided to go with it and try to find a blue that worked with a lot of the art and arty things we already had.

Color Tips

Be monolithic with color. If you're going to use a bold and saturated color, don't wimp out and paint just one wall. Carry around scraps of things that have colors you like when you go paint shopping. Bring home chips or sample jars and try out several choices before spending a lot of money on paint.

Posts on Apartment Therapy

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (22)

This palette works well with a gray cat, but what are your suggestions for color pairings with a bold black cat?

posted by henndog on October 12, 2010 at 1:56pm
view henndog's profile

Well done David! Bold color. Clean lines. Makes me wanna sit down and get to work.

posted by Brian likes it on October 12, 2010 at 2:32pm
view Brian likes it's profile

I would have gone maybe for one shade lighter. But overall, very nice. :)

posted by twigs on October 12, 2010 at 1:57pm
view twigs's profile

Love the tree drawing

posted by JSerwer on October 12, 2010 at 1:18pm
view JSerwer's profile

I want to live here! Love the tree drawing.

posted by jcsmitten on October 12, 2010 at 2:06pm
view jcsmitten's profile

I love it!

posted by suzy8track on October 12, 2010 at 2:21pm
view suzy8track's profile

I want to see the rest of their place!

posted by rexrayfan on October 12, 2010 at 2:46pm
view rexrayfan's profile

Love it! Trees rock!!!

posted by sfwineggrrl on October 12, 2010 at 2:48pm
view sfwineggrrl's profile

What brand/shade of color is that? I love it!!

posted by seasarie on October 12, 2010 at 3:24pm
view seasarie's profile

Beautiful. Robin's egg blue, burnt orange, and chocolate brown are all so popular, but I've never seen them used so well together.

posted by TaraRH on October 12, 2010 at 7:56pm
view TaraRH's profile

Hey! thanks for all the positive feedback so far.

- The tree drawing was done by our good friend, Michelle White: http://michelle-white.com/
We built the desk and shelf with built-in lights and needed to put a panel against the back to hide all of the wires and hardware. We didn't like the idea of having big blank panels so we asked Michelle if she would take a crack at doing something cool with them. I think she did and amazing job! We love those trees.

@henndog, maybe a shade of orange would go nicely with your black kitty. or would that be too much like living in a Halloween superstore?

@Jakie99 I made the pillow covers with a Luna Textiles fabric called "Spellbound." Check them out. They make really beautiful fabrics and textiles: http://www.lunatextiles.com/

@twigs, getting the right shade was so hard with this color. I actually wanted to go a little darker and a tad greener.
I kinda wanted something a little closer to this, actually: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/dc/kind-of-blue-a-little-green-pretty-great-teal-129006?image_id=1852434
In the end, I like the color. I'm glad we went bold instead of just doing white again.

@Seasari - The paint color is Benjamin Moore "Blue Spa" (#2052-40). It actually went bluer than I thought it was going to be. The hue totally changes depending on the time of day and the amount of sunlight coming into the room. It looks really good at dusk; very moody and calming.

posted by redbeard on October 12, 2010 at 8:14pm
view redbeard's profile

Bold and bright. I'd like to kick back in this room. Good work. BTW: who did the "goofy guy" collage? Very fun.

posted by Sigrid on October 13, 2010 at 2:45pm
view Sigrid's profile

Aren't you nervous having a big, heavy, framed-behind-glass picture right above your bed -- living in an earthquake zone?

posted by stickler on October 14, 2010 at 3:00pm
view stickler's profile

@Stickler - HA! no.

posted by redbeard on October 14, 2010 at 8:21pm
view redbeard's profile

@Sigrid - That "goofy guy" assemblage was done by yours truly.

posted by redbeard on October 14, 2010 at 8:34pm
view redbeard's profile

I love the blue... I love that you've gone all the way and not been half hearted about!

posted by Mrs T in Jersey on October 17, 2010 at 5:30pm
view Mrs T in Jersey's profile

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/good-questions/good-questions-abovebed-art-in-an-earthquake-zone-018474

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/personal-health/earthquakesafe-art-for-above-the-bed-090179

posted by stickler on October 23, 2010 at 2:54am
view stickler's profile

Awesome room, love the color! I am curious what the print is above your bed? It is beautiful. More info would be great.

posted by SilentPartner on October 25, 2010 at 4:12pm
view SilentPartner's profile

beautiful!

posted by michelou on October 25, 2010 at 5:10pm
view michelou's profile

I think cats must know you're going to take a photo and then jump on the bed.

posted by Klaus Von Mersault on October 26, 2010 at 2:49pm
view Klaus Von Mersault's profile

This is true! you should see the out-takes. Our cats Jimbo and Kearny are hiding in a lot of them.

@Silent Partner: The print was inspired by a wood block print I really love. I wanted something similar and abstracted the letters in my initials and my husband's initials to get the shapes. I like having the bold black shapes be in contrast with all of the color that surrounds it.

posted by redbeard on October 27, 2010 at 12:27pm
view redbeard's profile

Taiwan's designers from the East
Hope that the friendship with you to establish friendly
My interior design website
仁川室內設計

posted by peiyouliao on October 30, 2010 at 11:55pm
view peiyouliao's profile