Annalea's "Keep On The Sunny Side" Room

Keep On The Sunny Side

Name:

Annalea

Champaign, Illinois

Division:

North

Colors Used

There is a soft sunny yellow on the walls with bright reds, greens and blues galore. These are balanced with the mustard couch, darker wood furniture, brick fireplace, and antique white trim. We enjoy bold color, but don't want to feel overwhelmed. This is pretty much my dream palette.

Color Inspiration

I wanted a wall color that would liven up the house during dreary Illinois winters, but could also serve as a neutral against many other colors. I tend to collect reds - from vintage finds to handmade goodies - and I loved the way they look against yellow. From there, I went with greens and blues to balance it all out. (And because it is just so darn pretty.) This space also needed to be livable for our young family of five. We wanted it to be vibrant and welcoming. It was done frugally and is easily adaptable.

Color Tips

I like to vary up the shades used to make a room feel more authentic and layered. Instead of matching the exact color, play with different tones and levels of saturation.

Posts on Apartment Therapy

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (58)

Got my vote. I love to see a home that uses many colors well together.

posted by HeyNowTex on October 13, 2010 at 9:54am
view HeyNowTex's profile

Beautiful, lovely and bright but totally relaxing

posted by idontdobeige on October 13, 2010 at 11:31am
view idontdobeige's profile

Love it!

posted by daniellejeanne on October 13, 2010 at 11:46am
view daniellejeanne's profile

I love this. Totally stealing the color palette for my living room.

posted by Xtina_ on October 13, 2010 at 11:52am
view Xtina_'s profile

This is the first time I've voted or commented in this contest. I think this is really sweet and original - colors layered with a confident hand and a smile. I love the mix and match vibe, and think it's a lovely home for a family. I would love to live here.

posted by tequila red on October 13, 2010 at 12:29pm
view tequila red's profile

Well, this is the opposite of another favorite I have - lovely and cheerful without over-doing it. I'd never think to use that color yellow with the color of your sofa... It looks lovely. I agree, all your color choices are balanced and go wonderful with your wood furniture pieces and flooring.

posted by E.I.F. on October 13, 2010 at 1:25pm
view E.I.F.'s profile

Nice home!

posted by Kate (NC) on October 13, 2010 at 5:20pm
view Kate (NC)'s profile

Lovely, cheerful, and bright without being overwhelming. Got my vote!

posted by sauceykat on October 13, 2010 at 3:41pm
view sauceykat's profile

This is beautiful and a refreshing use of color. On a side note, I have the same vintage? chairs in orange. Do you know anything about the designer/brand?

posted by applesnkids on October 13, 2010 at 4:22pm
view applesnkids's profile

Nice but a bit bland

posted by Judaii on October 14, 2010 at 4:32am
view Judaii's profile

I love the color tip to not match everything perfectly!

posted by Amy VanMod on October 14, 2010 at 8:08pm
view Amy VanMod's profile

This is such a sweet and cheery place! If i didn't have a bias toward my own room in this same region, I'd favorite you! :)

posted by BettyHatchett on October 14, 2010 at 11:12pm
view BettyHatchett's profile

Oh I like it so much! Would love to see the rest of your lovely home.

posted by uphereintheclouds on October 15, 2010 at 6:44am
view uphereintheclouds's profile

Voted! :) Can we vote more than once??

posted by MuchAdo330 on October 15, 2010 at 4:12pm
view MuchAdo330's profile

Such a lovely place - so bright and cheerful. This room definitly has my vote!

posted by mstalcup on October 15, 2010 at 9:45pm
view mstalcup's profile

Love your "Thankful" Banner!

posted by Carmencita9c on October 15, 2010 at 10:40pm
view Carmencita9c's profile

Love this! That third picture really is wonderful, with all that beautiful colour! :)

posted by nomadchicky on October 16, 2010 at 8:56pm
view nomadchicky's profile

thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the kind comments!

thorndale: i agree, the palette bar reflects the colors i added but not a complete picture of the room. i needed 3-4 more slots to accurately portray this room.

applesnkids: our chairs were found on freecycle, so i don't know much about them.

muchado330: not unless we make it to the finals. :) but feel free to let others know so they can vote too!

posted by rhart on October 17, 2010 at 11:47am
view rhart's profile

Very nice!

posted by debip58 on October 17, 2010 at 3:21pm
view debip58's profile

Go Champaign!

posted by K8WMA on October 19, 2010 at 1:54am
view K8WMA's profile

Love that yellow!

posted by treesa on October 20, 2010 at 6:37pm
view treesa's profile

I voted!!!!!!!!!

posted by lady0peace on October 20, 2010 at 10:33pm
view lady0peace's profile

Love it. I disagree with Judaii about it being bland. You are using all primary colors which normally reads as very preschool. Your ability to use this combination and have it not look crazy or childish means you have an astute eye for color balance. And I think the fact that someone could even call these colors bland means you were successful in using them. The room is colorful yet soft, playful yet sophisticated and it has wonderful movement and balance throughout the space. Well done.

posted by CrispyFry5 on October 21, 2010 at 3:46pm
view CrispyFry5's profile

LOVE! Where did you get that chest under the coffee table?

posted by tlj5525 on October 22, 2010 at 3:10pm
view tlj5525's profile

awesome!

posted by absolutelyawesomethings on October 22, 2010 at 11:33pm
view absolutelyawesomethings's profile

i just realized i posted my last comment while my SIL was signed in. this is the real annalea :)

thanks again for the sweet words (and votes)!

crispyfry5: thank you. i appreciate your thoughts and the detailed feedback.

tlj5525: my mom bought it maybe 20 years ago at tjmaxx i believe and it was handed down to me.

posted by annalea on October 23, 2010 at 10:20am
view annalea's profile

We are currently looking for the perfect yellow for our living room and your yellow is exactly what we are looking for! Can you tell me the brand/color?

posted by Meggo81 on October 27, 2010 at 1:51pm
view Meggo81's profile

ohhhh pretty please can you tell us the color used here? this is EXACTLY what i am looking for to use in my kitchen! thanks so much!

posted by stephiez on October 28, 2010 at 11:49am
view stephiez's profile

meggo81 and stephiez: so we started with benjamin moore inner glow, but quickly realized it was too bright. so we ended up diluting until we came to a half inner glow - half pure white combination.

posted by annalea on October 29, 2010 at 1:59pm
view annalea's profile

Very pretty and happy and interesting. Good job!

posted by Rackers on November 1, 2010 at 12:36pm
view Rackers's profile

You have my vote! The other entries are nice and each person definitely has an eye for color, but I can actually imagine myself being able to call your house "home". Good luck!

posted by d.catherine on November 1, 2010 at 1:01pm
view d.catherine's profile

This place not only has great color, but good bones. You've done a splendid job working with the architecture of the house. I hope you win!

posted by k2yhe on November 1, 2010 at 8:01pm
view k2yhe's profile

I definitely hope you win, for the blue trunk, your frugality, the character of your home, that framed (whatlookslike) fabric, the Thankful banner, your curtains and that green chair. :)

posted by nomadchicky on November 2, 2010 at 12:39am
view nomadchicky's profile

Sublime!

posted by granolagirltoo on November 2, 2010 at 1:49pm
view granolagirltoo's profile

This is beautiful! It doesn't look contrived; it looks like it evolved--lovingly.

posted by prsh8ya on November 2, 2010 at 2:12pm
view prsh8ya's profile

Very quaint.

posted by shayshebang on November 2, 2010 at 2:16pm
view shayshebang's profile

Love love love this. Stealing many ideas, including the framed fabric. Did I say love love LOVE this space?

posted by divaskychick on November 2, 2010 at 9:28pm
view divaskychick's profile

thank you, thank you, thank you! we are just so excited to be in the finals.

all the best to the other finalists. . . but seriously i WANT to win! :)

posted by annalea on November 2, 2010 at 9:39pm
view annalea's profile

i so wish it was my home! very lovely.

may i ask where you find the pillows & red curtains?

hope you win this contest! much luck :)

posted by snowskye on November 3, 2010 at 12:34am
view snowskye's profile

snowskye: thank you!

i made the curtains from michael miller's dainty damask.

the striped pillows are also homemade. it is the best and most affordable way for me to get the look i want. i actually change the three large pillow covers out by season. these are my fall pillows, where i have sewn together strips of quilting cotton. i added black, brown, wine, dark blue, mustard and pumpkin-y orange with my brighter red, yellow, green, and turquoise. the other two pillows (green knit and floral embroidered) were made by upcycling old sweaters from my closet.

posted by annalea on November 3, 2010 at 8:53am
view annalea's profile

This room is cute, maybe not my taste, but cute enough.

But I really feel like the 60,000+ visitors to your design blog have A LOT to do with your place in the finals. Asking them to post this room on facebook, twitter and their blogs is a bit much.

posted by Roger F on November 3, 2010 at 3:10pm
view Roger F's profile

Mmm... I like this room the best and I didn't see it on any blog. Maybe the fact that the other leading room was professionally designed is "a bit much."

posted by Snootledoo on November 3, 2010 at 3:30pm
view Snootledoo's profile

roger: thanks for the thinking it cute. the 60,000+ people has been over 3.5 years, so i definitely don't have a crazy big blog (plus it is mostly a family/daily life blog with a little bit of design thrown in). but you are right, it does help. i am totally okay with asking for a help though. i have a feeling most of the contestants e-mailed and/or asked their friends and family to vote. if not, they could have. and to be honest, i think we are a strong contender. maybe not as polished as the other lead, but i also have three kiddos running around this place. :)

snootledoo: thanks for liking our room.

posted by annalea on November 3, 2010 at 3:42pm
view annalea's profile

I love the room! Good luck! BTW, I posted to my Facebook page without anyone even asking me, just because I think frugal kid-friendly design should be applauded!

posted by beme92097 on November 3, 2010 at 4:17pm
view beme92097's profile

I think it is a little naive to assume all contestants are not asking their friends and family to spread the word about voting. And I personally find it VERY hard to believe that a contestant with a "design blog" of 60,000+ followers would have only 533 votes by now. Are we being "a bit" dramatic Roger?

posted by CrispyFry5 on November 3, 2010 at 5:17pm

You're justifying behavior by saying that other people do it too? Doubt you'd let your kids get away with that! Cute room, good luck.

You know "a bit" about drama, Crispyfry don't you... That toxic rant you left on Joi's entry was pretty dramatic. I had to take a shower after reading it. Needlessly cruel. Does making her regret entering the contest make you feel like a bigshot? :(

posted by Roger F on November 3, 2010 at 9:17pm
view Roger F's profile

Roger... Come on. You complain that I am too vague and then complain when I give a detailed design critique. I think it is rude and petty to distract from what this competition is really about (a colorful, well designed room) by attacking people personally. I mean, researching a person's background? That seems pretty creepy and unnecessary. And your passive aggressive "cute room" does not fool anyone.

I will tell you why I think this room should win:

It is colorful (I think the other leading room lacks greatly in this category)

It is functional (AKA it does not look staged unlike the other leading room.)

It is self-designed (Why reward someone for a design they did not create? Which is the case for the other leading room...)

It is beautiful (this is rather relative but personally I hinge it heavily on the interaction of color, movement, and style throughout the room... something I think Joi's room lacked in a big way. Nothing personal about it.)

And the fact that most elements in this room were hand crafted as opposed to paid for (again... unlike the other leading room) play a small part in my decision as well.

How about we leave personal attacks at the door and decide who has the most beautiful and colorful (as well as authentic) room.

posted by CrispyFry5 on November 3, 2010 at 11:29pm

Correction: The other leading room does have a few hand crafted elements. My mistake.

posted by CrispyFry5 on November 4, 2010 at 3:12pm

Love it! I've also fallen in love with your blog, which I found through AT. Makes me want to add brighter colors to my home!

posted by MillieATL on November 7, 2010 at 12:46pm
view MillieATL's profile

this is beautiful (if you're a 90 yr old lady) I'm sure my great-grandmother would love to have a space like this.

posted by anckSuNamun on November 7, 2010 at 5:35pm
view anckSuNamun's profile

Oh now I am quite disappointed anckSuNamun. I responded to your other post before seeing the one above. This is what you would consider something "good" to say? I can now see why you have such a problem with my critiques.

posted by CrispyFry5 on November 7, 2010 at 8:59pm

THIS IS THE BEST ROOM. BY FAR, BEST COLOR AND DESIGN EVERYONE SHOULD VOTE!

posted by heather2clark on November 8, 2010 at 2:27pm
view heather2clark's profile

I have personally been in this room and it is fully functional, not staged, useable, comforting, and bright. It puts everyone in a great mood and fits together perfectly with the rest of their eclectic house. It would be an absolute shame to not see this room win. It's what the competition is about.

posted by heather2clark on November 8, 2010 at 2:29pm

looks bright and cheerful. I tried to vote for you but it says favoriting and voting have ended. Good luck.

posted by TTAA on November 8, 2010 at 3:05pm
view TTAA's profile

@TTAA, VOTING REOPENED! TRY AGAIN!

posted by heather2clark on November 8, 2010 at 3:13pm

my opinion is the editors should just pick the winner in future contests.

posted by annalea on November 8, 2010 at 3:16pm
view annalea's profile

I love color, a house without color isn't a home, wonderful placement, love it!!

posted by Sandra Conti on December 9, 2010 at 11:40am
view Sandra Conti's profile

Can you tell us the name of the paint you used on the walls?

posted by ajrusty on October 13, 2011 at 3:52pm
view ajrusty's profile