Kelly's "Fire+Ice" Kitchen

Fire+Ice

Name:

Kelly

San Francisco, California

Division:

West

Colors Used

Botanical Tint (Behr), Firecracker (Behr), Chalkboard Paint (Rust-Oleum)

Color Inspiration

Everyone who comes into my kitchen assumes it was my Kitchen-Aid Mixer (color: Ice), which happens to perfectly match the Botanical Tint walls. But it was a complete coincidence! I just really, really like bright aquas. I thought a similarly bright reddish-pink would really help the pantry to pop, and I chose to go with the black chalkboard paint on our kitchen door in order to pick up the black on our appliances and to balance the bright colors.

Color Tips

Just play around and try different colors--you'll eventually land on a combination that looks good and better yet, makes you happy. And getting there will be fun! At the end of the day, as long as you like it, nothing else matters.

Posts on Apartment Therapy

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (16)

I love the shades.. Can you share the source, pls?

posted by New York Muhtari on October 8, 2010 at 11:51am
view New York Muhtari's profile

Thanks! They're both panels from IKEA. We modified the shade with the 2s on it to fit the window over the sink.

posted by betony9 on October 8, 2010 at 12:12pm
view betony9's profile

Love the rabbit and fox art, as well as the whole vibe.

posted by dkallas on October 8, 2010 at 12:13pm
view dkallas's profile

I love when people are brave enough to put such a fun and vibrant color in their kitchen. I feel like it is an appropriate place for a bright color like this, and I love the red and black with the ice walls. This gets a favorite from me!

posted by maattt on October 8, 2010 at 4:03pm
view maattt's profile

Love, love, love the blue. The red, I'm not so sure about. But nice room.

posted by sauceykat on October 8, 2010 at 6:24pm
view sauceykat's profile

Really like the red and white fabrics in and of themselves and as a contrast to the blue walls.

posted by susan1741 on October 8, 2010 at 10:13pm
view susan1741's profile

I'm in love with the red and blue! absolutely gorgeous

posted by narjaloves on October 9, 2010 at 1:23am
view narjaloves's profile

Love it. At first I thought the window in Picture 2 could use a red-and-white curtain or blind, but then I see in Picture 4 it has one, and it looks perfect (not quite sure how it disappeared in Picture 2). And the blackboard paint in the panels of the kitchen door (mentioned in the text but not easy to see in the pictures) is genius. My favourite so far!

posted by idontdobeige on October 9, 2010 at 6:48am
view idontdobeige's profile

I have these colors in my kitchen, too, and I love it. I really like the red in your pantry.

posted by verily on October 10, 2010 at 10:09am
view verily's profile

Love this color combo! And also the mouse-shaped cheese board...where did you get that??

posted by CarrboroGirl on October 11, 2010 at 8:45pm
view CarrboroGirl's profile

One of my favorite color combos, we had something similar in our old house. You are making me nostalgic!

posted by TowerGirl on October 11, 2010 at 9:57pm
view TowerGirl's profile

The mouse-shaped cutting board is from the Macy's Martha Stewart line from a few years ago. I think they also had a rooster and a pig.

Thanks for all the kind words!

posted by betony9 on October 12, 2010 at 11:29am
view betony9's profile

Thinking I should add some "Firecracker" to my blue kitchen...

posted by ccahillmn on October 13, 2010 at 6:40pm
view ccahillmn's profile

Beautiful kitchen! I love the vibrant colors, seems like it would be a fun kitchen to cook in! Let's see a tour of the whole place!

posted by nursekarie on October 14, 2010 at 12:37pm
view nursekarie's profile

you & i have allot of the same stuff!

posted by mariegaelgreen on October 15, 2010 at 3:24pm
view mariegaelgreen's profile

So vintage-y and cute. What a great colour combination!

posted by nomadchicky on October 16, 2010 at 9:18pm
view nomadchicky's profile