Name:

Joi

Highland, Illinois

Division:

North

Colors Used

Dark Gray, Turquoise, Yellow, White, Pink, Black

Color Inspiration

I was inspired by the eclecticism of my favorite Domino magazine spreads! I used to be afraid to use color, but started paying close attention to my favorite photos and realized they ALL used color. I used these same pictures as inspirations for my own home and I soon fell in love with mixing all of my favorite hues.

Color Tips

Go with your gut! If you like a color, use it. Forget the rules about matchy-matchy color schemes. Color evokes emotion and mixing your favorites can only make you even happier. : )

Posts on Apartment Therapy

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (46)

Wow. I really, really like this...a lot.

Can you give details regarding your sofa/settee? Source? Fabric? Color? etc.

I really, really like this room; it just makes me feel really happy... :)

posted by JD2002 on October 6, 2010 at 10:35am
view JD2002's profile

This is great, so cheerful. Please share sources! Love that pillow fabric!

posted by EvelynR on October 6, 2010 at 10:39am
view EvelynR's profile

Frankly, Wow.

So many colors and patterns, yet it doesn't look busy. I love it!

posted by latoyaversailles on October 6, 2010 at 10:45am
view latoyaversailles's profile

contender! high color and style.

posted by Lady J on October 6, 2010 at 10:51am
view Lady J's profile

WOW MY FAVE FOR SURE!!Bold and beautiful!Great job!Cheers

posted by her_royal_gr8ness on October 6, 2010 at 10:57am
view her_royal_gr8ness's profile

Thanks, everyone! : )

@JD2002-The sofa was a $30 Craiglist find and is vintage.

@Evelyn W-The floral pillows are from Pier One and the Greek Key pillow was from Homegoods!

posted by Joidan82 on October 6, 2010 at 11:29am
view Joidan82's profile

Love the drapery! Where did you get them from?

posted by jbouck on October 6, 2010 at 12:27pm
view jbouck's profile

Gaaah. I was so afraid you'd say your sofa was a CL find!! It's too PERFECT! Hehe!

posted by brooklynindiana on October 6, 2010 at 12:49pm
view brooklynindiana's profile

@Jbouck-I painted the drapes! The panels are $9 a piece from JC Penney and my husband figured out the chevron pattern for me and I painted them with black acrylic fabric paint. : )

posted by Joidan82 on October 6, 2010 at 1:04pm
view Joidan82's profile

Fantastic! My favourite entry thus far.

posted by Cashew on October 6, 2010 at 1:08pm
view Cashew's profile

I love this one. Even though the main colors are dark, the patterns and pops of color actually make it feel very cheery and bright.

posted by HeyNowTex on October 6, 2010 at 2:19pm
view HeyNowTex's profile

love the blue lamps!

posted by sarahee on October 6, 2010 at 2:46pm
view sarahee's profile

Love it.

posted by Josh W on October 6, 2010 at 6:47pm
view Josh W's profile

@sarahee-Thanks! Those were a salvation army thrift store find and I painted them that color. : )

posted by Joidan82 on October 6, 2010 at 3:18pm
view Joidan82's profile

Love love love it........great room.

posted by JillStigs on October 6, 2010 at 9:24pm
view JillStigs's profile

I loooove this. The yellow chair totally pops, and works so well with the fantastic curtains. Well done.

posted by lollybox on October 6, 2010 at 9:38pm
view lollybox's profile

Very nice. UNIQUE! The colours work so well together - and wow on the sofa-Craigslist-find! :)

posted by nomadchicky on October 7, 2010 at 12:17am
view nomadchicky's profile

I looove the courtains!!

posted by mildreth on October 7, 2010 at 1:35am
view mildreth's profile

whoa.

posted by bloodyska on October 7, 2010 at 1:58am
view bloodyska's profile

It's a . . . little busy. I'm suprized with the muted colors it can look so . . . active.

posted by Miata 94 M on October 7, 2010 at 9:33am
view Miata 94 M's profile

This reminds me of that show Trading Spaces

posted by trackbike on October 7, 2010 at 2:24pm
view trackbike's profile

Joi, you have my vote. I have loved this room for awhile, and it is looking good here on AT!

posted by russetstreet on October 7, 2010 at 4:21pm
view russetstreet's profile

Got my vote. Love your tasteful use of mixed patterns, textures, and colours. Not many people can pull that off without looking like a bad flea-market or thrift shop.

posted by sauceykat on October 8, 2010 at 6:35pm
view sauceykat's profile

yikes

posted by le_mond on October 9, 2010 at 7:21pm
view le_mond's profile

Love the use of color. Some of my faves. I wish I had those curtains...they add a graphic punch to the space.

posted by Chandra @ Liv.Luv.Design on October 9, 2010 at 11:34pm
view Chandra @ Liv.Luv.Design's profile

I love the cushion covers and the chair. Don't like the silver things in the center though. Also I feel the sofa looks awkward facing the chest of drawers! But overall i think it's quite nice and quite a bit better than a lot of other entries! :)

posted by twigs on October 12, 2010 at 1:03pm
view twigs's profile

Such a cute room! I love the sofa, desk, chair, and lamps!! Where is that desk from??

posted by gildaumd on October 12, 2010 at 1:33pm
view gildaumd's profile

@gildaumd-Thanks! The desk is vintage.

: )

posted by Joidan82 on October 12, 2010 at 3:12pm
view Joidan82's profile

My hand embroidered bargello would go so well with this. If you are interested please see:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/51468723/bargello-interlocks-hand-embroidered

http://www.etsy.com/listing/52500291/black-and-white-bargello-diamonds-hand

posted by lisolabella on October 12, 2010 at 3:41pm
view lisolabella's profile

Niiiiiice, I could definitely live there! Like the combo of colors!

posted by beatricepl on October 14, 2010 at 10:38am
view beatricepl's profile

Blah. Are you kidding me? This looks horrible. I am sorry but I cannot believe this one is winning for the north. Those silver ottomans are an eyesore. And nothing in the room looks like it goes together. I am all for vintage and thrifty when it looks GOOD... but this just looks like a random colored mess. There are sooooo many other rooms that mix colors in a way that WORKS. Not this one. Please, please, please tell me this is a prank. Please.

posted by CrispyFry5 on October 19, 2010 at 3:03pm
view CrispyFry5's profile

crispyfry5: I've been wondering the same thing since this contest started. Not just about this room, but about a number of the leading rooms. I thought maybe it was just that some people have a ton of friends who vote for them, maybe post it on Facebook and are able to get hundreds of votes that way? I'm not really sure, but something is definitely wrong with this contest.

posted by le_mond on October 19, 2010 at 4:40pm
view le_mond's profile

@crispyfry - your comment is not within the standards of the AT community. Saying this room is horrible or doesn't go together is rude, vague and not terribly constructive.

Joi - ignore the trolls, this room is great!

posted by Roger F on October 20, 2010 at 1:26am
view Roger F's profile

@crispyfry & @lemond-To each their own. My room = my decorating style. Don't favorite it if you don't like it. : )

@Roger F-Thanks for the kind words!

posted by Joidan82 on October 20, 2010 at 2:17am
view Joidan82's profile

Rude? Sorry, it is my honest opinion.

I love that Joi loves her room... you should! You designed it! But I cannot believe that so many AT readers think this is a well designed room.

Vague? I explicitly said the ottomans are an eyesore but I can get more detailed if you would like.

Let me start by asking, what is the purpose of this room? I think this is a key question when designing a space... one that this room does not properly address. Is it an office or a family room? Is it formal or relaxed? And I agree with twigs who said the couch seems awkward facing the dresser. What is the purpose of that? A successful design has purpose.

But the main issue I have is that there is no flow to the room (aka: nothing "goes together"). When you look at a space you want your eyes to be taken on a journey through the room... led around by a natural movement created by any number of reasons. In this case the pops of color would normally create movement. They do not. There is yellow. Bam. Right in the middle. It instantly attracts your eyes... but they do not know where to go next. Why? Because yellow is no where else in the room. I do not mean that same exact shade of yellow... I mean ANY yellow. It does not need to be a lot (especially when dealing with yellow) to start the movement. A hint of yellow in the pillows, a yellow frame or vase of flowers on the dresser... it could be anything in any shade of yellow. As long as there is SOMETHING for your eyes to relate to and move them from that initial spot. The same issue occurs again with the red/orange pillows and blue lamps. They are each stagnate. Nothing relates to those colors to create any natural movement.

This problem with movement stems from the larger issue of balance. There is no balance to the room. If you look at the room as a whole it is cut in half. There is the bottom which contains all the warm tones while the top half is... gray... The corner with the plant stand just seems to scream, put something taller here! It is a wasted opportunity to draw color up to the top half of the room. And even the orientation of the furniture itself... all the white/light furniture is clustered into one corner of the room. Something simple like painting the plant stand a shade of blue would make a world of difference in the balance (not to mention the flow). And please... do not even get me started on the metallic soccer balls turned ottomans.

Constructive criticism? I did not think this was necessary in a competition such as this.

You have got some good pieces with potential (and some bad ones) but it is put together in a way that just does not work. If you want to see a similar style of room (eclectic, thrifty and pops of color) that works (and is in the same division) I personally think "Keep On The Sunny Side" pulls it off with impeccable balance and movement.

posted by CrispyFry5 on October 20, 2010 at 3:56pm

@CrispyFry5-Wow. Thanks for the dissertation on my room. I think you have way too much time on your hands to write this detailed of an essay about my room.

I entered this contest for fun--geez. I never claimed this was the best designed room. Wowza.

posted by Joidan82 on October 21, 2010 at 11:49am
view Joidan82's profile

Joi,

I understand that you entered for fun but when you did so you also opened yourself up for honest opinions/critiques. Truthfully the only reason I felt the need to get so in-depth with your room is first because I was told by Roger F that vagueness "is not within the standards of the AT community" and second because your room is in the lead when I do not think it should be. I am genuinely shocked at how many people think this room deserves to win over the others in this division. I am sorry if that hurts your feelings but it is how I feel. I also think that you should not be hurt by what I said because you designed a room that you love and when it comes to actually living with a design... loving it yourself is really all that should matter. But that is not how it works in a competition. Thank you for putting your room out there to discuss though... if you could not tell... I love to critique.

posted by CrispyFry5 on October 21, 2010 at 12:45pm

I've been known to give some short/intense critiques during this contest. I am a registered and practicing Interior Designer. I like this space. It's a great blend of unique items that really create a fun/sophisticated space. Go Joi!

posted by AngieBang on October 21, 2010 at 5:22pm
view AngieBang's profile

I'm not crazy about the ottomans, but I otherwise love this room. I'd kill for the drapes and the yellow chair makes me happy. Crispyfry--the third photo shows that there is yellow and blue in the pillows. This may have been a jumping off point.
May we see your room, please?

posted by mjs7640 on October 21, 2010 at 7:41pm
view mjs7640's profile

@Crispyfry5-All is good.

posted by Joidan82 on October 21, 2010 at 11:01pm
view Joidan82's profile

I have to agree with CrispyFry5. It just seems very cluttered and eclectic to the point of being a hodgepodge of too many competing focal points. Just my opinion. :)

posted by DrSmacky on October 21, 2010 at 11:48pm
view DrSmacky's profile

mjs7640,

While I would love it if even one of our rooms were in any condition to share with you all... we just moved and are still not fully unpacked. I will gladly describe its state though: Our bedroom has... a bed... nothing else. The second bedroom has a TV... nothing else (not even a chair). Our bathroom is white from floor to ceiling (ick). We still have my husband's two Ikea chairs (double ick) in the family room... and our living room? Let me just say it is a hot mess. Do not even ask me about the basement. This is why I did not enter the contest.

posted by CrispyFry5 on October 22, 2010 at 5:04pm

Gray is non-chromatic light, achromatic color or neutral color. Neutrals have low colorfulness and chroma. So why is this grey, white and black room featured at a COLOR contest?

posted by Mariargentina on October 22, 2010 at 7:43pm
view Mariargentina's profile

it's true, if you submit your room to a contest, you are asking for feedback and have to accept it, good or bad. and angiebang, some of the most hideous homes i've ever seen were designed by professionals, so i hope you're not expecting us to defer to your superior wisdom just because you're an interior designer. personally, i'm not a fan of this room though i will say this -- it isn't boring! someone said it's like a room on "Trading Spaces" and i'd have to agree.

posted by stickler on October 22, 2010 at 6:13pm
view stickler's profile

Domino jumped to my mind when I saw your photo, so you did an excellent job of creating that Domino look. You have succeeded already, best of luck in the contest!

posted by Kate (NC) on October 25, 2010 at 11:03am
view Kate (NC)'s profile

aaahhh gimme your curtains! <3 <3

posted by correystoner on November 23, 2010 at 6:14am
view correystoner's profile